Power steering replaced

My Avalanche was always louder than I wanted when it came to the power steering, chalked it up as normal, well it seemed to get louder so I crawled under and sure enough the bottom side was wet w power steering fluid. Didn’t have time to wait for the replacement pump from online order so I just went to the local Chevy dealer to get OEM, $300 ouch. Also bought the $37 harbor freight pulley tool kit and went at it. Took a total of 8 hours taking my time and making a run to get a new o-ring. No real hiccups, cleaned up the underside that had caked on dirt,etc, filled w Lucas PS fluid and took it for a test drive. Big difference, it’s silent as a whisper now, due to the new pump, not the Lucas fluid
E13701B3-7359-4B31-94D6-4E69EAD7DCCB.jpeg
5AC3AD79-B30C-4FFA-8DB5-3A7545C866B8.jpeg
DAC14EEB-5881-46D1-A89B-CAAFD87CE8CC.jpeg

My PS system (pump and R&P) is OEM from 1988 and still runs whisper quiet with no leaks.
I chalk it up to regular drain and fills. The additional debris in the system is the cause of noise and eventually, leaks.
;)

My PS system (pump and R&P) is OEM from 1988 and still runs whisper quiet with no leaks.
I chalk it up to regular drain and fills. The additional debris in the system is the cause of noise and eventually, leaks.
;)
Do you actually crack a line, or just suck what you can out of the resevoir and refill (what I do). I always wondered if I should drain it completely from the bottom?

Do you actually crack a line, or just suck what you can out of the resevoir and refill (what I do). I always wondered if I should drain it completely from the bottom?
I just pull out as much as I can with my fluid extractor (same tool I use for oil and trans fluid changes).
Many think you need to pull a line to get it all out, but even a small amount swapped out makes a difference in the long run.

Back