Power steering question - Electric vs hydro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys

I wanted to know which system is harder on its fluid - the new electro pumps that are not driven off the engines crank, but use electricity to power the pump - or the older hydro pump systems that are belt driven ?

I have a mazda3 that uses electric - and I am debating flushing the fluid in favour of Mobil1 Trans fluid - my system specs dex 3.

Thanks

Mine is electric-servo driven meaning that it's a big bad electrical motor on the steering rack. No fluids, no issues.

Maybe a tad harder on my electrical systems but I can handle that.

Q.

Weird, my GMs with electric power steering just have a motor that connected directly to the steering column shaft, not a drop of hydraulic fluid in the entire system.

Honda S2000 has electric power steering too and no fluid in the system. When the car goes straight no electrical contact and no power is needed, only when the steering wheel is turn then there is a contact and power assist is on.

Every Mazda 3 I have ever seen has electrically driven hydraulic pumps, if the fluid needed is Dex III, it will be smart to replace with a high quality Dex III alternative.

What would interest me is changes in steering effort. Every time I have used M1 ATF in a belt driven hydraulic system, steering effort became lighter. However, in an electrically driven system, the electronic controls might compensate for this by reducing fluid flow or something.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
mazda and ford use dex 3 in the systems

Why would Ford us a GM product? Why not one of the Mercon® fluids?

Subaru started using electric power steering pumps in the late 80s...I have an 89 XT6 with an electric pump, and with over 110k and 20 years of service, it still works fine.

As described above, the only time they work is at low speeds, at highway speeds they turn off to provide more feel.

The Subaru system takes a special fluid that cost over $40/quart in the mid 90s. I would not even know where to get that fluid today (they seem to have went back to a conventional belt drive/auto trans fluid). I bought a quart of this stuff back in the day...still sitting on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: Junior
Originally Posted By: nicholas
mazda and ford use dex 3 in the systems

Why would Ford us a GM product? Why not one of the Mercon® fluids?
I think he was using shorthand...Dex III and Mercon were the same fluid until they were discontinued a couple years ago. Now, Dex VI and Mercon V are NOT the same fluid.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Weird, my GMs with electric power steering just have a motor that connected directly to the steering column shaft, not a drop of hydraulic fluid in the entire system.

Exactly. I love this system in my Cobalt. It seems silly to have an electrically driven hydraulic system. If you're going electronic go all the way. The only lube in the Chebby system is some factory installed grease in the steering rack and what ever is installed in the gearbox on the drive motor.

Joel

Mini Coopers use an electric driven hydraulic power steering system that is junk. The electric motors run hot, an electric cooling fan was put next to the pump to blow air on it and "cool" the pump.
Usually the fan dies and then the pump soon after.
Plan on spending well over a grand to replace that mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back