Power steering pump gone on my kid's Cavalier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Cavalier with 61K miles.
Knocking type sound when wheel is turned to the right or left.
I took as much fluid out as I could and added fresh fluid.
Still have the problem.
The fluid was dark brown.
GM's fluid is somewhat clear.

New pump needed?
If so... a big job

Can you get the source of the noise? Might be a bad rack, tie-rod end, ball joint, strut mount, etc.

It could be not only the pump but also the steering rack. Having owned two GM vehicles, I don't think it's unlikely that both parts have gone bad.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
Can you get the source of the noise? Might be a bad rack, tie-rod end, ball joint, strut mount, etc.

The noise is coming from the steering pump side of engine when turning steering wheel whether moving or parked.
More so when moving..
Fluid also had sort of a burnt odor along with it's being dark.

Steering rack replacement cost?

Eat a bowl of Wheeties. Then loosen the belt to the pump, and turn the wheel and see if you get the noise. If not, sounds like it is the pump.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Eat a bowl of Wheeties. Then loosen the belt to the pump, and turn the wheel and see if you get the noise. If not, sounds like it is the pump.

grin.gif

I dropped the car at my mechanic's shop.
Just wanted to get an idea if it was the pump.
Didn't even think of the rack possibility.

Any idea on approx. cost of replacement of rack and/or pump?

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
www.j-body.com is a good Cavalier site. Strut mounts were a problem on some cars. Try greasing the slip joint on the steering column intermediate shaft first. That can cause the clunking noise too.

The car is at the shop.
New struts were installed 5-6 months ago but I don't believe the mounts were replaced.
BTW
The check engine light was on too.
Could that tie in with the steering pump?

quote:

OK. That does sound like a pump then.

I hope that's all it is.
Like I said above...the fluid was dark brown and had a burnt odor.
GM fluid is almost clear.
I'll post the problem and cost to repair.

FWIW I take the turkey baster and suck out the reservoir once a year and add fresh (Carquest store brand) fluid. It looks pretty dark after a year.

quote:

FWIW I take the turkey baster and suck out the reservoir once a year and add fresh (Carquest store brand) fluid. It looks pretty dark after a year.

I used a turkey baster today.
smile.gif

I think I'll do the same each year on my vehicles if access is easy.
cheers.gif

My 1988 Ford Mustang's power steering pump has been making a whining/groaning noise when the wheel is turned since 116K (when I bought it).

It's now got 168K, I've changed the fluid, I also Auto-RX'd it, that made no difference (I think the Auto-RX fixed the "morning sickness"; steering used to be stiffer in cold weather). The noise has not changed at all in the last 62K miles.

Does the noise continue if you hold the wheel at an extreme position with the car stopped?

I've come to the conclusion that power steering pump noises aren't necessarily a problem.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
Does the noise continue if you hold the wheel at an extreme position with the car stopped?

Noise is present when steering wheel turned when parked but worse when on the road driving.

The wheel doesn't have to be turned to the extreme for noise to occur.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
A possibility: air in the system can cause noise..but then you have to wonder how the air got in there.

Overfilling the power steering fluid can cause foaming, which in turn can cause air in the system.

Also: Whenever you add fluid, make sure you get somebody to turn the wheel back-and-forth while you do so. I learned this the hard way...

quote:

www.j-body.com is a good Cavalier site. Strut mounts were a problem on some cars. Try greasing the slip joint on the steering column intermediate shaft first. That can cause the clunking noise too.

Ding,ding,ding..we have a winner.
Wasn't the steering rack or pump.
Strut mount was causing the noise.
It was greased up good.
No noise.
If noise returns I'll replace the mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back