Power steering overfilled? 2500HD, 23k miles

Truck is a 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD equipped with the L96 6.0L gas engine. 23k miles. (brakes are hydroboost driven)

Truck has been sitting for 6 days, has not been started.
I noticed a leak under my vehicle, and tracked the source to be from my power steering pump. I removed the cap to the reservoir, and fluid shot out everywhere, making a mess. It is as if it was under pressure (engine off). After cleaning up as best I could with my limited time, I checked the fluid level. It was still way too high. To my knowledge, this is the first time that the reservoir cap has even been removed.

I would very much appreciate any thoughts on why this is happening. I will end up taking the truck to a dealership as I am still under warranty. I am just trying to gauge whether the vehicle is safe to drive as is. (due to hrydroboost brakes)

Thanks very much for any input!

Scratch that, power steering does not fall under the powertrain warranty. Looks like I'm on my own for this one.

I have never seen that happen on my 17 3500HD gasser. Did you drive it to see what it does?

Did they say it wasn't covered?

Yea, just called and they said PS isn't covered. Haven't touched it yet, but will probably suck the fluid out of the reservoir tonight and refill to proper level, then drive and keep an eye on it.
If the problem persist... well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Just trying to educate myself now.

almost sounds like you have air in there. I mean, PS fluid is not compressible, so the fact it shot out tells me you have a coiled spring of compressed air.

almost sounds like you have air in there. I mean, PS fluid is not compressible, so the fact it shot out tells me you have a coiled spring of compressed air.
Makes sense.

With the engine off how many power assisted brake pedal pushes do you have?
That is very a good question. I will let you know tonight. I very much appreciate any and all help.

On some cars turning the steering repeatedly with the engine off will cause the reservoir to overflow.

I have a 2008 version of the system. I’m thinking a build up of air as well but would have been expected pump noise. One other long shot is the hydroboost system has an accumulator ( cylindrical item near the brake fluid reservoir). I suppose if it it had a failed check valve it could back feed pressure to the pump, but I have never heard of it. The accumulator gives you two “ Hail Mary” power assisted pumps on the brake if your pump malfunctions or belt breaks. Then you are on your own with no power brakes or power steering. Cool system, eh. ;)

I have a 2008 version of the system. I’m thinking a build up of air as well but would have been expected pump noise. One other long shot is the hydroboost system has an accumulator ( cylindrical item near the brake fluid reservoir). I suppose if it it had a failed check valve it could back feed pressure to the pump, but I have never heard of it. The accumulator gives you two “ Hail Mary” power assisted pumps on the brake if your pump malfunctions or belt breaks. Then you are on your own with no power brakes or power steering. Cool system, eh. ;)
It may be a long shot, but I think you may be on to something with a failed check valve or something along those lines. I don't know how air would get into the system just from sitting.

It seems that I have failed to follow up with this. Kind of rude when people ore trying to help you out... Sorry for that.

I ended up using my evacuator to pull the fluid out of the reservoir, and refilled to the correct level. Have not experienced any further issues except an increase in perceived pump noise, but intermittently. I say perceived because it is possible that the faint noise was there before, and I never payed attention to it until now. I only hear it in very low speed situations, like pulling out of a driveway. It is barely noticeable over the sound of the engine idling. I plan to keep an eye on it, and will report back with any changes, should they occur. Thank you to all who replied.

Back