power drill usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Munger: So many of the things that are important consumer durables we own because we want to have immediate low-cost access to their services. So, that's true of most tools. Most of the time, most of us--if we're professors or work in some white-collar job--most jobs, you don't constantly use your tools unless you are a contractor. And yet, somewhere in your garage or in your storage, you have quite a few tools.

So, I'm standing in front of a wall. My wife has said, 'We're going to put up some pictures.' I want to drill a hole in the drywall so I can put an anchor in so it won't tear within a couple of weeks. And I could go and buy a drill. I could rent a drill. But what I is go to my garage and get one of the 4 power drills that I'm embarrassed to admit that I have. And, then drill a hole. And then she looks at it and says, 'No, not that wall. That's not the right one.' So I fill in that one and then I go and I drill a different hole. But still, I used the drill for maybe 30 seconds and then I put it back up.

The question is: Why is it that we own so many things? And the Austrian economics' insight is that almost any consumer durable--your car, a suit that you have in the closet--what those actually are is not something you are going to use like an apple where you eat it and it's gone. It is a stream of services that extend out into the future. So, you have to think about the value of time; and you have to think about the value of uncertainty. Now, it turns out that power tools are particularly interesting because they've become a kind of trope of this sharing economy literature. There are 110 million power drills in the United States.

If you take the 110 million and rank them from the most used to the least used, and then look at the median, it has been estimated that the 55th-millionth power drill ranked by lifetime--lifetime--use is between 30 and 40 minutes. Because, using the power drill for 30 minutes if you are a contractor isn't much. But if I'm drilling two holes to put up a picture in the house, I use it for 30 or 40 seconds, and then I put it away.

So, why is that we store these things that we only use for 30 minutes over their entire lifetime? And, I claim that it's at least possible to think of an alternative, where, instead of owning it, I share it; and I share it in a particular kind of way that economists call renting. Because, renting is just a way of sharing things with people that you don't know with one residual claimant that takes care of all of the transactions costs.

More: http://www.econtalk.org/michael-mun...costs-and-tomorrow-3-0/#audio-highlights

True, but you need them sometimes.
I had to dig up my drill today. Took forever to find the charger.
But i did use it to refurb a huge house that had nail pops everywhere so I got my moneys
Worth out of it. Now I need it infrequently....

Just like hoarding oil and filters you'll never live long enough to use.
I quit doing that.

I used to buy a drill every year just to get the battery as the drill and battery were cheaper than just the battery. At least the Ryobi ones. I think it was something like $30 for the drill and battery and if you just wanted the battery, the regular price was $40. Now the lithium ones are better and I've got plenty of batteries now and they don't die after a year or two, but I still probably have 3-4 drills kicking around. I'd probably have more, but I think I've lent out a couple and never got them back and I think one of them broke from getting dropped.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I used to buy a drill every year just to get the battery as the drill and battery were cheaper than just the battery. At least the Ryobi ones. I think it was something like $30 for the drill and battery and if you just wanted the battery, the regular price was $40. Now the lithium ones are better and I've got plenty of batteries now and they don't die after a year or two, but I still probably have 3-4 drills kicking around. I'd probably have more, but I think I've lent out a couple and never got them back and I think one of them broke from getting dropped.

Yep, i do the same.

Originally Posted by Zee09

Yep, i do the same.

I always recommend people that rarely use power tools to buy the corded version. Buy once and done. Never wait for the battery to charge before you can use it for a second.

I don't own any cordless drills but I have used them.

I do own a Ryobi 5.5-Amp 3/8 in. Variable Speed Reversible Compact Clutch Driver drill. It is a very good drill.
I bought mine at the Home Depot a few years ago when they were still navy blue colored. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-5...le-Compact-Clutch-Driver-D48CK/205216292
It's easier for me to use a drill with an extension cord than dealing with a battery. Powerful, works and is cheap.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Zee09

Yep, i do the same.

I always recommend people that rarely use power tools to buy the corded version. Buy once and done. Never wait for the battery to charge before you can use it for a second.

I bought my first cordless drill when I needed to drill out a few screws holding my license plate. Cheaper than a 200 foot electric cord from the apartment to the car. Plus it would have had to go on the road and I'm not sure how it would hold up when cars were driving over it.

I'll give you my drill when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Most of us need tools, though only occasionally. But over a lifetime we use most of them many times.

I started off drilling holes with nails. In those days I had a drill but had no drill bits. I don't do that anymore. My approach now is: Need a tool? Buy it. And generally buy a good one.

Over time I've built up a good supply of tools. It's amazing how many tools are needed for fairly simple jobs. But buying tools has allowed me to take on and complete most jobs. You can't do much without tools.

A big opportunity is to buy tools from the estate of handymen who don't need them anymore. I have tools I inherited from my dad, or bought from the estate of deceased friends, etc. When I use them I think of the previous owner, and that's kind of nice.

I plan to teach my grandson (or grand-daughter) how to use my tools and then eventually pass them on to him (or her).

I buy all my hand tools in December and January from pawn shops. All Dewalt and Ridgid. Best time to buy. People need money for Christmas. And its the lowest sale time for pawn shops.

Regarding why we have so many of the same items. I have 4 2002 chevy Trackers. I can only drive one at a time. But whenever they show up on Craigslist for under $500 I go and buy it for $400 or less.

They always have a broken timing chain and bent valves. I have chains and valves on the shelf.

I would be lost without my drills and drill bits. They get used a lot and only the good ones last longer than toilet paper in a house fire.

After I bought my house in 2001 I needed a drill and thought cordless would be best as I had to take out a shading structure that was falling apart, poorly made to begin with, with lots of screws up high. Got it at a pawn shop...looked barely used. Both batteries finally died earlier this year. Generally used it a few times a year. I figure the amount I paid for was less than what I would have had to pay someone else to do the work. Same with the reciprocating saw I got two years ago. Demoed a bathroom and a shed with it. Paid for itself.

You are missing the economics of the situation.

The value is in availability, not the total use. Something can bring value even if it's never used.

Imagine needing to change a flaky sensor deep within the engine of your sole vehicle which you rely upon for daily use.

Compare the situation where you have a fully stocked parts store next door, with being far from such a store thus needing to wait several days for a parts delivery. In the former case you might just dive into the job without buying any parts. If you find that the sensor just came unplugged, you might finish the repair with no expense. In the latter case you might need to be conservative by buying spares for every bolt that might strip, and every part that might break or have failed. Even though you never set foot in the parts store, its availability brought huge value to the task.

Originally Posted by Toy4x4
I figure the amount I paid for was less than what I would have had to pay someone else to do the work. Same with the reciprocating saw I got two years ago....... Paid for itself.

This is also my threshold.

Pay someone $120,
or just buy the tools I need and HAVE THEM FOREVER for $120?

Tools wins every time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back