Power brake boosters fade, or just die (?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily driver is 22 years old. The brakes work just fine, are up to date with maintenance, but when I drive customers' cars I am amazed at how smartly the cars stop, compared to mine. I know the booster (vacuum assist) works, but I can't possibly remember how they performed when new.

So is it an either / or situation? I mean do they die, or does the boost effectiveness gradually fade?

Mine have always started having a vacuum leak first before they go out completely
Everything is 22 years old on your car so none of it works like new
Over time you just get used to it

I've noticed this too and think they just upped the boost because people like the feel.

I had a 15+ year old dodge dakota that I think had a vacuum leak in the booster (occasional racing idle after using brakes) but its brakes were still great.

I don't believe you mentioned what you drive.... If it has rear drum brakes, they are the single most important factor - if all else is functioning normally - in determining pedal feel. Make sure your rear brakes are in good shape and adjusted up properly/snug for best pedal feel. Then any other issues from the booster,master cylinder, etc can be properly addressed.

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Usually they start to hiss when you step on the pedal long before they quit working.

If that's the sign, I need to replace the booster on my 91 Ranger. It definitely hisses but otherwise seems to stop fine.

If you have rear drum brakes and if your brakes feel a *lot* better after a pump or two, then the rear needs to be adjusted to reduce the pedal travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back