powder coating a frame but need to block some part

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to powder coat my bike frame,but there's parts of it that i don't want coated. The shop says that the oven is about 400*. What can i use to cover these parts?

I want to cover some of the areas where the tubes are welded.it has some type of decorative design.Also want to cover threads where crank goes into frame.header wrap will never work.

High temperature rubber, i.e. silicon rubber. They make plugs of silicon rubber for masking threads in powder coating applications. I wonder if RTV silicon would work in your application. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
High temperature rubber, i.e. silicon rubber. They make plugs of silicon rubber for masking threads in powder coating applications. I wonder if RTV silicon would work in your application. Just a thought.
man, thats a great idea.time to email Permatex.thanks

Generally they use masking for two-tone designs, then pull it before it goes in the oven.

For the BB shell, head tube and seat tube mfg's actually just use a laminated cardboard--the same that's used for packaging bikes. Any bike shop will have this laying around. For bottle bosses/fender eyelets, just use a bolt threaded in partially. You can use a wooded chopstick for the seat stay brake bridge.

One tip though: if you're not re-using the headset and BB, just leave them in. This will prevent you from having the face them after painting. Just score them with a utility knife before removing them. When I worked at a mfg that did paint in house and we had our own frames re-sprayed, that's what we'd do.

I do kinda miss having ready access to a powder coating facility! Cost for a frame painting was generally lunch or a six pack, and turn around time was half a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back