Pour Point of Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the website lists the Flashpoint but not the pourpoint.

Why are you wondering this living in TN.

It is probably -30 or -40 something.

"Exceptional low temperature pumpability"

i agree i'd say -40 around there.

it's also JASO cert.
thumbsup2.gif

I have been using the rotella synthetic truck oil in my 7.3 diesel. I noticed an immediated improvement in the engine on start up after I change the oil and a major change in cold drivability.

Originally Posted By: fito
Have any of you tried it in an older muscle car engine? Pre 70's cars?

TDT would be the perfect fit for one of these cars.

I've got a '73 Cadillac CoupeDeVille I use every day. I've run Mobil 1 15-50 in it during the summer and Mobil 1 10-30EP during the winter for about the last 5 years. I ran the 15-50 year round up until about 5 years ago.

I just changed the oil to the TDT 5-40 for this winter instead of the 10-30EP. It has a higher ZDDP level for old cars and 10-30 EP that had more ZDDP is becoming unavailable. I'll see how it works. I don't do UOA's.

I've been doing a lot of short trip use in the cold weather recently and the 15-50 stank to high heaven when I changed it after only 2500 miles. It NEVER did that with the long trips I used it for most of the 13 years. I'll see what happens with the 5-40. It is low on ZDDP at 1000ppm for older cars but the Caddy motors have notoriously weak valve springs so it shouldn't be a problem.

For an old muscle car? I'd have to wonder about the ZDDP levels of Mobil 1 5-40 TDT. I think they would be way low. I may even add some ZDP to my oil tommorrow.

Last edited:
The mobil 1 5w-40 only has 100 ppm less zddp than the 15w50 (1100/1200 Zn/P vs 1200/1300 Zn/P) so you are worrying about nothing IMO.

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
I've got a '73 Cadillac CoupeDeVille I use every day. I've run Mobil 1 15-50 in it during the summer and Mobil 1 10-30EP during the winter for about the last 5 years. I ran the 15-50 year round up until about 5 years ago.

I just changed the oil to the TDT 5-40 for this winter instead of the 10-30EP. It has a higher ZDDP level for old cars and 10-30 EP that had more ZDDP is becoming unavailable. I'll see how it works. I don't do UOA's.

I've been doing a lot of short trip use in the cold weather recently and the 15-50 stank to high heaven when I changed it after only 2500 miles. It NEVER did that with the long trips I used it for most of the 13 years. I'll see what happens with the 5-40. It is low on ZDDP at 1000ppm for older cars but the Caddy motors have notoriously weak valve springs so it shouldn't be a problem.

For an old muscle car? I'd have to wonder about the ZDDP levels of Mobil 1 5-40 TDT. I think they would be way low. I may even add some ZDP to my oil tommorrow.

If it can protect from wear on a heavy diesel, it is MORE than up to the task on your Caddy.

Mobil says 1000ppm for the 5-40 and 1200/1300 for the 15-50. It WILL be fine in the Caddy but I wouldn't trust it in any of the really hot muscle cars with way high spring pressures or a super built hot rod. I could be wrong, of course. 1500ppm and up was what the oils of yesteryear had.

I do believe there are other wear additives in the 5-40 though becuase it says on the bottle that it is CI-4+, CJ-4+ and SL approved. Which surprised me. I thought all those certifications carried a much higher ZDDP level.

I read it was a very robust oil with a great add pack so I figured I would give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back