Poulan Weedeater 2 cycle filter...ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So fuel line deteriorated and filter detached in tank. Not something I'm unfamiliar with as I've replaced filter and lines a couple/few times at least. Filter looks ok to my eye, replaced not too long ago. Just wondering if there are any visible tell tale signs a filter has gone bad. I have the fuel lines and a filter on the way from Amazon, should be here today. Filter ~$6. I realize replacing best practice since fuel line out, but I'd like to reuse if possible. Thoughts on filter condition?

This is from an old Weedeater Featherlite I bought at WM many years ago. Because I bought the special carb adjust tool early on and replaced fuel lines as needed, I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

[Linked Image]

The last <$15 Mantis carb came with one of those filters and all the hoses too. I would re-use the old one rather than pay 6

I would treat it like a spare spark plug. If the weedeater runs the same with the new filter as it does the old filter....continue to use the old one.

Discovered another issue after replacing fuel lines, original primer bulb is cracked so I will have to replace that, part ordered. The last option would be to replace carb, have scoped out a Poulan/Husqvarna branded replacement for < $15 on ebay. (Walbro carb no longer made for it.) That's likely as far as I'm willing to go, but may not be necessary. Once fuel line installed it's not difficult to swap filters using a little hook tool for line I made out of wire. I do appreciate the replies, was curious if some obvious visible sign of a failed filter. I will update once I get the bulb replaced and back together.

Consider using one of those knockoff Chinese fuel system kits that include lines, spare primer bulbs, an entire carburetor, spark plug, air/fuel filters, gaskets, etc usually on Amazon or eBay for $10-25... I would suggest just replacing the metering + fuel pump diaphragms and gaskets, as the knockoff carburetors themselves are hit or miss, and the adjustment screws and seats are really out of whack, hard to get actually right due to them being so far off range from OEM. Personally, I'll get a legit Zama carb gasket kit, and use all the fuel line, etc from china.

Success. Primer bulb came yesterday, easy install. Took several pulls, well quite a few to get it going. Adjusted carb screws, seems decently dialed in. I did install a new gas filter mostly trying to eliminate one variable for not starting. I do think other is ok, so will save as a spare. That said, hoping not to have mess with that line again any time soon. Hopefully good for awhile. Cracked primer bulb is original, no complaints about that.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back