postal LLV wiper switch arm broke off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Office I work at one of the LLV wiper switch arms broke off in the column... due to cuts we have to send to a local dealer or fix ourselves... I am some what handy and have some basic tools... would get paid to fix it... question... if I get a new arm how hard is it to get the column apart to replace... switch arm is on the left side... has off low and high... plus washers... thanks for the info!!!

There are videos available that show you how to do it on a Grumman LLV. If you search for something like "replacing multifunction switch llv" you'll find them.

Those things are everywhere - I'm sure someone has posted a video on youtube. If not, they are probably the same as any other 80s/90s GM steering column.

No need to take the column apart if you carefully center punch the broken end in the switch. Drill straight into it about a 1/4 inch then insert a metal screw, tighten then twist the whole thing out about a quarter turn. Buy a new lever insert and twist to lock in. If you mess up and drill off center into the plastic, then you have no choice but to replace the switch.

There's a little cover at the column behind the multi function switch. Pop it off. Then take your hose pick and poke the back of the multifunction switch. You'll see the little silver stem that remains of the stalk. Poke it hard and it'll shoot out. If it doesn't shoot out, push it back in to the locked in position and try again and again. It's very easy once you've done it. I've had to do a million of them, I work in a postal vehicle maintenance shop.

I only see the cover going around the whole column... seems steering wheel and ignition have to be removed... am I missing something?? MV shop sent new arm and multi switch...

Sorry I don't check in here too often. Right surrounding the multifunction switch, at the base of that stalk that is broken, is a cover. You can pocket screwdriver it off and see the multifunction switch itself. You don't want to have to replace the switch, that's a pain in the A. Unless you have a newer llv than we have in our fleet. We have 87-93s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back