Post your bicycle frankenbrew

Lubes, shampoos, fluids,etc.
Anything goes, that is not meant for bicycles specifically.
Bonus for items that are already in household, or you use on vehicles.

Bare silicone oil after some time feels like drying out & shocks refuse to move nicely.
Happy with silicone oil + tungsten disulfide powder in squirt bottle.
Works better than oil alone on the forks. Bonus-no risk damaging brakes with overspray from oil can.
(black stanchions, nothing visible) (y)
Screen Shot 07-15-22 at 06.17 PM.PNG

Wax based chain lube: xylene + paraffin.
Oil based chain lube: chainsaw bar & chain oil
Bearing grease: Shaeffer's 221 #2
Chain cleaning solvent: WD-40

Oh, and one more:
Oil for Rockshox Pike front forks: 0w30 motor oil (or a 50/50 mix of 0w20 and 0w40).
That's 10 times cheaper than buying the oil from Rockshox
From Rockshox: $52 / quart ($13 for 4 oz)
From the auto parts store: $5 / quart

Air craft cleaning fluid, you know, from the little dispensers on the bottom of airplanes. Chains go into an empty water bottle and are then agitated with the aircraft cleaning fluid (100LL). Hot wax with powdered MoS2 to re-lubricate the chain. Also I'm using 'slideway' oil (100) for fork lower services.

Last edited:
Why use 100LL over regular gasoline? It's more expensive and contaminated with lead. As a pilot and gun owner I try to minimize my contact with lead.

I find gasoline to be a very effective cleaner, but quite harsh. Several years ago I switched to using WD-40 where I used to use gasoline for cleaning and I like the results.

Why use 100LL over regular gasoline? It's more expensive and contaminated with lead. As a pilot and gun owner I try to minimize my contact with lead.

I find gasoline to be a very effective cleaner, but quite harsh. Several years ago I switched to using WD-40 where I used to use gasoline for cleaning and I like the results.
I use WD-40 as a cleaner/rinse for chains/guns/gear mechanisms/etc Blast and wipe a few times and generally ready for final lube at that point.

Convivence, my hangar and 'aircraft cleaning fluid dispenser' is in my back yard.

i never thought about that [WD-40 as a cleaning solvent]. it might work just fine
Here in the USA, you can buy WD-40 in gallon containers for about $20. That makes it cost-effective to use as a cleaning solvent.

Cleaner: E85
Lube: ~4qts of used gear oil mixed with ~7 oz of calcium sulfonate grease (Traveller brand)

I brush it on from a can, then wipe it as dry with a towel. I try to dry it enough that it won't sling residual for a long time, but even if it does, I just clean up and its over. I really don't like wax, mainly because cleaning it from sprockets takes forever. I'll only go with a wax if I am going for a long, long time on the bike without cleaning and relubing.

I use Aeroshell 41 MIL-5606 hydraulic fluid in Shimano and Tektro disc brakes. The OE Shimano stuff is Shell Tellus 22, Tektro is the same but made by Idemitsu Taiwan.

Lower viscosity for quicker response and modulation.

... Chainsaw bar oil to lube chain. Stays put for months.
This more popular than I expected. No surprise there, it's an ideal application. It tends to be a high viscosity oil having high film strength to minimize metal-metal contact, often with extreme pressure additives like a gear oil, and with a sticky/tackifier additive to reduce fling-off.

For chain lubes, cyclists have essentially 2 options: wet (oil) or dry (wax). Both are effective when done right. IME, chainsaw bar & chain oil is the best "wet" option.

this is so far best i tried, almost zero black residues from chain cleaning (mud, grit mtb use)
chain gage says no wear.
soft whitish spray wax with teflon:)

I’m starting to think with the temps a pushbike chain gets(I was on a trainer and putting out 300-350W), it’s not enough to get ZDDP to “activate” and plate into the chain.

I’m experimenting with hot wax. Shimano HG-601 105/SLX level chain, Runaway Bike paraffin wax with PTFE and MOS2. However, Shimano chains at the 11-12 speed levels have a Sil-Tec coating on the inner links(105/SLX levels) or the entire chain(Dura-Ace/XTR levels) and might not work well with wax. I haven’t ridden outside to take a read.

wax gets good reviews , mostly on dry rides.

i have to adjust my opinions a bit about chain spray. it seems in mud weather using oil on chain feels better.
no matter if chain darkens, pressure washer helps.
rinse and repeat.

Back