Post photos of your rusty cars!

I am very curious, how many of us drive rusty vehicles. From light surface corrosion to cars that are absolutely rusted through. Post your rust bubbles and rusty frames. I always wonder what is considered normal in other parts of the world, especially in north america from Ontario to California. Reading about the car's life is always nice as well.

Awww, man, where was this thread a couple days ago when I had my Cobalt up on ramps at the rear? I didn't think far enough ahead to snap a picture.

I am very curious, how many of us drive rusty vehicles. From light surface corrosion to cars that are absolutely rusted through. Post your rust bubbles and rusty frames. I always wonder what is considered normal in other parts of the world, especially in north america from Ontario to California. Reading about the car's life is always nice as well.
Maybe I'll watch them use a grinding wheel? This one has some unfortunate rust, not sure why some vehicles seem to have this and others don't.

This strikes me as pretty bad rust on an otherwise OK vehicle and I don't think I would purchase it with the rust like this, especially for their asking $7500.
20220815_124059.jpg
20220815_124117.jpg

There is no drivers side rocker panel. Unfortunately I didn't have the key so I couldn't open and snap a picture.

Yes, you can see daylight through the bed

Attachments

• 20220816_065846.jpg
    20220816_065846.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220816_065852.jpg
    20220816_065852.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220816_065858.jpg
    20220816_065858.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220816_065911.jpg
    20220816_065911.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220816_065921.jpg
    20220816_065921.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 48
I really wish that I had a photo of my stepson's 1990 Geo Prism (Corolla) that couldn't pass state inspection last year. I patched it up for a few years. The engine still ran perfectly at about 150k mi.

I'm just amazed at how much rust I see on 8–10-year old vehicles in the Northern US.

I really wish that I had a photo of my stepson's 1990 Geo Prism (Corolla) that couldn't pass state inspection last year. I patched it up for a few years. The engine still ran perfectly at about 150k mi.

I'm just amazed at how much rust I see on 8–10-year old vehicles in the Northern US.
It's getting worse with the salt brine spray ...

I need to deal with this one day…. I do have a replacement white trunklid… but I think the whole car may need a repaint. It’s a sweet running car, took it to HPL and back, only about 230k miles.
Looks like we're in the same boat, rusty 124s that are still running strong. Is the rest of the car rusty?

Looks like we're in the same boat, rusty 124s that are still running strong. Is the rest of the car rusty?
No. There are three decent size chips that weren’t addressed and have surface rust, but they’re all smaller than a dime.

I think that the plugs in the rear wheel wells may have a bit of rust around the edge. They felt a bit crunchy around them, but noplace else. Looking inside looked like new, clean metal with a wax coating.

We will see… like all my projects there just aren’t enough hours.

6-year old Priuses have frequently rust holes above their windshields here. Those are Priuses parked near the beach much of the time, especially those with roof racks for surfboards or kayaks.

No. There are three decent size chips that weren’t addressed and have surface rust, but they’re all smaller than a dime.

I think that the plugs in the rear wheel wells may have a bit of rust around the edge. They felt a bit crunchy around them, but noplace else. Looking inside looked like new, clean metal with a wax coating.

We will see… like all my projects there just aren’t enough hours.
Same here, the worst part of the car was was around the grommets in the right rear wheel well, where all the mud collects when you live in the country. Noticed the bubbles around them and my finger went right through them, same with the rust around the jacking point in the same area.

I removed the rust and made a temporary fix with fiberglass and epoxy but as you say there are not enough hours. Everything is looking good inside. Clean metal with the factory cosmoline.

The underneath of the car has some surface rust also, removed as much as i could with a wire brush and sprayed my own micture of linseed oil and mineral spirit.

I also have the classic front wing rusting between the wheel well and turn signal. Already have a wing but can't find the time to replace it as i drive the car daily.

What model is yours, 300D or 300D 2.5 Turbo?

Last edited:
Back