Post office is officially a joke

The girlfriends coworker that lives near us was telling girlfriend and I about this. She mailed her rent out 2 days before end of last month. Yesterday, her landlord called and said she has not received rent. So, the renter went and got 2 money orders for rent and hand delivered them to landlord. I guess the post office just totally quit caring. She also asked me what a PO Box costs; told her I didn’t know.

I've seen big packages delivered below the mail boxes where passers by can easily see them in my neighborhood. Too lazy or in a hurry not to deliver it to the front door. I'm not saying all, but there are some US postal service workers that really don't care

I've had a handful of things go missing the past few years compared to maybe a handful of things over my lifetime. I had a diode from Australia go missing when it got to LA. I filled out a missing mail report. After a few weeks, I went to speak to my postmaster who laughed at the prospect of findings lost mail. He said mail is either moving through the system or it's not and if it's not it's lost. He said in 20 years he's found just a handful of lost mail items.

Had a couple things never arrive. My mother mails things occasionally to me - went from a few days to 2+ weeks. Going to the post office is like visiting the 3rd world.

My local mail carrier hasn't changed so at least she is still good.

The post office processes 167,300,000+ pieces of first-class mail on a daily basis and when one gets lost that means that the "post office just totally quit caring"?

Assuming it even got mailed in the first place.... more likely the landlord put it in a pile of mail with the rest of the last minute rent payments, and in the process of opening them all up this one mistakenly ended up in the garbage pile before it got opened. Which just totally proves landlords really dont care about your rent. Or something.

post office.jpg

I stopped paying the majority of my bills through the mail, years ago. Medical bills are the one exception. I don’t have an expectation of the payments being received on time or even getting there. If I mail something across town or to nearby towns, it has to go to Tallahassee, FL first. Super efficient! 🤣🤣🤣👉🤡🌎

I own a commercial building in another state that I collect rent on.

It's been something like 25+ years of the rent check comming in the mail including still now since moving south 15 years ago to a new home.
I can't honestly say or remember if the check ever got lost in the mail and if it was delayed somehow it might have been an envelope street address filled out wrong that eventually got to us after they mailed a new one.

In my entire very long life so far I don't think I ever mailed a payment that did not arrive.
I would say if something doesn't arrive it's most likely human error on the sending or receiving side not the fault of post office.

Last edited:
Check is in the mail!

This was never a swipe at the post office!

Listen, I am the first to rag on USPS. On the other hand, for 15 years they did pretty darn good on 99.9%+ of the packages SBP sent out. There used to be a couple mail centers that had REAL theft problem, but the last 5+ years - that seems to have been quietly dealt with.

Yeah we no longer pay anything by check in the mail. Too much hassle!

The only issue I can think of wrong with the PO is, both my kids have moved out of the house over 10 years ago. One has moved out of state, but at least once a week we've been getting their mail delivered to our house. I've found the PO has better fees for package delivery, then UPS or FED EX. And our junk mail has never once been mis-delivered.,,,

Cherry on the Sunday:
When I post "downstate" I use a PO very near Teterboro Airport.
There's some sorta distro center 1/4 mile away on the airport's property.
You can shave a day or two off any expected delivery time.

When I post upstate, I use an old shack of a PO some raccoons call home.

Once I posted at a "business substation" where my single letter was lost in a stack of the white plastic trays they use.
Like selecting a restaurant or gas station, you want activity. Separate buildings always have different reputations.

Anyone remember the "Measly Nickle" promotion General Foods had?
In 1962 GF offered art kits, press on cartoon (Rocky & Bullwinkle) characters, pens, stencils and other stuff.
It had to have been some kind of house cleaning as the collection of stuff was odd. You got it all for 5 cents.

Mine arrived 8 years late; just in time for high school.

I'm not one to defend the USPS, they annoy me constantly.

However, if you're not going to track the package with additional services, you don't have much to stand on. It's annoying but there are mechanisms to accommodate those more important mailings.

Something like a rent check that is mailed close to the date probably should have tracking, be certified, etc, but that also depends on the relationship with the landlord. Might be time to look at another method of payment, there's a number of options in 2023.

At work, we've been having an issues with getting bills way late, checks taking forever to process. I've added a couple of the more critical things to our business accounts online bill pay.

The post office processes 167,300,000+ pieces of first-class mail on a daily basis and when one gets lost that means that the "post office just totally quit caring"?

Assuming it even got mailed in the first place.... more likely the landlord put it in a pile of mail with the rest of the last minute rent payments, and in the process of opening them all up this one mistakenly ended up in the garbage pile before it got opened. Which just totally proves landlords really dont care about your rent. Or something.

View attachment 140789

Decades past I'd be with this sentiment but my experiences with USPS over the last 10 years or so show an extremely low level of customer care. One of the issues I had multiple times were packages being marked delivered but not delivered until the next day. Postmaster says its "normal" as the worker only had a certain number of items to choose from the drop-down menu they use. I've also gotten undeliverable; driveway-blocked comments. My driveway is never blocked and USPS doesn't ever deliver up my driveway anyway (UPS;DHL; & Fed X do). For the "E'l Jefe" to condone what would be a fraudulent practice in many other areas of business explains it all.

This specific practice is easily rectified with supervision. Each package is geotagged. Postmaster refused to share that data.... because the packages likely never left with the delivery person, to begin with. Easy solution would be to add the correct comments to the drop-down menu but that would lower productivity #'s so no one would want to do that purposely.

There is some hope for my post office. At least inside counter workers. We have had 2 millennial aged females that are easy on the eyes :love: one male millennial that are very helpful, and they even smile! To describe the previous atmosphere I'll simply state I've been to wakes that were far more "alive" than the USPS.

I'm not one to defend the USPS, they annoy me constantly.

However, if you're not going to track the package with additional services, you don't have much to stand on. It's annoying but there are mechanisms to accommodate those more important mailings.

Something like a rent check that is mailed close to the date probably should have tracking, be certified, etc, but that also depends on the relationship with the landlord. Might be time to look at another method of payment, there's a number of options in 2023.

At work, we've been having an issues with getting bills way late, checks taking forever to process. I've added a couple of the more critical things to our business accounts online bill pay.
The woman did not mail the rent check “close”. She mailed it out 2-3 days before end of last month as I already spelled it out. 3weeks plus is downright pathetic and uncalled for.

Postal workers in my area walk right by my mailbox and don’t take outgoing mail even

Back