Post brake job knuckle groove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd be brave and replace the front rotors and pads on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee (rotors were warped and had already been machined twice). I've never tackled this before, but with plenty of YouTube know-how and AAP coupons, I decided to give it a shot.

Right after I did the job, I drove it for about 8 blocks to see if I'd need to bleed the brakes. I did. That was yesterday.

Then today, I took off the wheels and on the passenger side, there was a groove in the knuckle (where the brake pad is supposed to slide along.) I'm 95% sure the groove was not there yesterday. Driver's side was fine. So, I unscrewed the caliper bolts on the grooved side and re-installed the set-up.

Any idea what would have caused this groove, and caused it so quickly? And now that it's there, what should I do? I've read this happens a lot on Jeeps and that it can be welded in and then filed back down to make it level again.

Also, why would the notches in the brake pads not make full contact with the knuckle? The pads appear to be installed and seated correctly. But getting them to sit right on the guide (knuckle) has been a challenge. They sit on it perfectly on one side, but are a little off it on the other.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Some brakes have a plate about 2-3X the thickness of tin foil that fit in the knuckle to prevent wear on the bracket which should be greased by the way. Are you doing that?

Yep, they were greased. Don't think it was a friction issue. Something had to be out of whack to cause a groove that quickly, I guess.

This used to happen on the older FWD dodges with ABS when the pad chatter eroded that contact point.

Are your pads identical except for the wear sensor fingernail? Maybe your innie needs to be an outie and vice versa.

Maybe that groove cut through the rust in that area.
No stainless pads/shims available to slide on?
Lube is your best bet, now.
Filing it flat will only increase the gap and can lead to knocks on brake application.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My 02 has the same groove. It's from the pads moving around on the knuckle and was there when you did your work. Don't happen overnight.

Very common.You probably just didn't notice it initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back