Post all GC (German Castrol) Topics Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
blueglide88, please do a search and you will find a ton of info. We are currently awaiting a lab analysis of the stuff to see what it's really made of.

quote:

Originally posted by blueglide88:
OK guys, so whats the deal with GC? What makes it so specail? I really don't know what you guys are talking about. Are you talking aboput Syntec? Is there a different formula used in Germany compared to the US? How do you know? Has there been any VOA's on it? Do you consider it better than M1? What are the elves about? So many questions.......

b..g..88,

SO MANY questions! It is reasonable to ask you to do a search, but I, as the GC/SLXmeister, have a duty to give you a thumbnail. GC (German Castrol) is an imported (from Germany) version of Castrol Syntec 0W-30. It comes ONLY in that grade and the label MUST say "Made In Germany" on the back or it is NOT the right stuff. It is green (or was prior to the 2005 batches) (dates are coded in stampings on the bottom of the bottle) and some say it smells like gümmi bears. Because of its color and grade some of us believe it is actually Castrol SLX, sold outside the US, which is green and is 0W-30. Because of its smell and performance some of us also believe it has the juice of the ester plant
wink.gif
in it. It has given superb results over a wide range of engines and there is a GMC Sierra 5.3L report posted right now in the UOA section that is marvelous (see TooSlick's comments in that thread). Now about the Elves...you see GC is not just an engine oil; it is the Elixer of Love, Life, Joy, Peace and Tribological Triumph. It achieves this because it is made by Elves in the Black Forest.
wink.gif
No human mind could have conceived of such a formula, nor could human hands perform the delicate blending required...these are not the same ethnicity of Elves that make cookies or toys but they are fraternally related to the lines of Elves which populate the Lord of the Rings...now that makes sense, doesn't it?

[ March 06, 2005, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
But why would it be noticably thinner, as DoubleDee has testified?

g...p..

That fits with my speculation that this may be the Longtec formula.

If it's the Longtec formula, they should have changed the label to show that it meets the MB 229.5 spec, correct?

DoubleDee, does the new stuff smell like the old?

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
That fits with my speculation that this may be the Longtec formula.

With a starting visc. of 67.5, I wouldn't necessarily call Longtec 'thinner'...
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000216

QP,

Did a specs comparison...depending on how accurate my numbers, you are right...it is NOT thinner.

quote:

orignally posted by glxpassat
If it's the Longtec formula, they should have changed the label to show that it meets the MB 229.5 spec, correct?

DoubleDee, does the new stuff smell like the old?

g...p...,

Yes, you are right...they should have.

Guys...Maybe my "wishful" got out ahead of my "thinking."

quote:

Seems I recall that someone (prob Quatro Pete from Poland) said that SLX Longtec (the new Mercedes 229.5 stuff) is still green.

Apparently I was blind when I said that.
pat.gif
It's actually amber.

-

If the HTHS viscosity of the new stuff is less than 3.5, there would be legal ramifications of selling an oil that does not hold up to the specs that are listed on the back of the bottle. Is that a test that can be done in a VOA?

Okay, I did the smell thing. I had my whole family sample. They all agreed that the green elixer is much stronger. I did my scientific flow test and the 05 is defintely thinner.

Please do not ask me to taste. Makes me think of Cheech and Chong.

This was posted in one of the other threads....

"hi alli've a quart of mobil1 5w-50 lying around here. if i mix this with 3 quarts of havoline 5w-30, what viscosity will i end up with? 5w-40?is it ok if i even do it all? i mean, that extra quart's too expensive to just use in my lawnmower".

My response:

"Hmm....lets look at this mathamatically...
1 qt of 5W-50 (mobil 1)
1 qt of 5W-30 (havoline)
1 qt of 5W-30 (havoline)
1 qt of 5W-30 (havoline)

Okay, all the oils are 5W so that wont change...

3 x 30=90+50 divided by total quarts, 4, =35

so, "5W-35"

Havoline x 3 and Mobil1 x 1 = Havobil 1/4

So what you have is...
"Havobil 1/4 5W-35"!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other possible explanation would be the 5W's cancel, so you get "0". The three thirties take precedence over the 50, so you end up with:

"0W-30"

Wait...NOW THE SECRET CAN BE TOLD!!!!THAT'S GC!!!!!!!!!!!"

just IMHO
darrell
sin city

Now about the Elves...you see GC is not just an engine oil; it is the Elixer of Love, Life, Joy, Peace and Tribological Triumph. It achieves this because it is made by Elves in the Black Forest.
wink.gif
No human mind could have conceived of such a formula, nor could human hands perform the delicate blending required...these are not the same ethnicity of Elves that make cookies or toys but they are fraternally related to the lines of Elves which populate the Lord of the Rings...now that makes sense, doesn't it? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Now it all makes sense!

Hey I'm running GC in my iron monster 4.0 Jeep. How many miles do you guys want me to run it? I'm @ 2700 now and it's still golden, not dark at all!

I just picked up a 6 qt jug of QS and am itchin to try that in the Jeep!

Help me!
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
Hey I'm running GC in my iron monster 4.0 Jeep. How many miles do you guys want me to run it? I'm @ 2700 now and it's still golden, not dark at all!

I just picked up a 6 qt jug of QS and am itchin to try that in the Jeep!

Help me!
lol.gif

You GOTTA go at least to 5K on it...the Elixer is worthy of your patience.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:

quote:

Seems I recall that someone (prob Quatro Pete from Poland) said that SLX Longtec (the new Mercedes 229.5 stuff) is still green.

Apparently I was blind when I said that.
pat.gif
It's actually amber.

-

Don't I see hints of Green dancing playfully around the...um-m-m...periphery? If this board has taught me anything, it has taught me not to overreact...but I got to tell you this turn of events with GC has got my perplexity meter moving toward the amber zone. This is all very curious. The Elves have asked me not to ask them any questions about it, so who knows....

I have returned the two cases of the '05. The autozone I go to is loaded with it. The shelf if full and there are cases in the racks. They would not take the bottle that was open. I am open to
suggestions as what to do with it(be nice).

It would be nice if could send a sample of it to Blackstone or some other oil analysis lab to get a virgin oil analysis done. That will go a long way in us knowing if it's the same stuff or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back