(possibly) Wrong oil put into my vehicle by dealership, trying to figure out next step

I recently had the oil changed in my 2021 Nissan NV200 cargo van at a Nissan dealership. The receipt didn't indicate the oil
weight that was put in, so I asked them. First they told me they put in 0W-20 synthetic but my vehicle takes 5W-30 synthetic. So they changed
their story, "Oh we really put in 5W-30 synthetic". When I asked them for documentation showing that they put in 5W-30 synthetic, but they
didn't have any - so they gave me a refund.

The warranty for my vehicle states 5W-30 synthetic only, no alternatives are listed.

I called a few mechanics around town, one said I should change it again for 5W-30 synthetic just to be sure, another said that "everyone is given 0W-20 synthetic and told -whatever-", another told me that the 0W-20 should be ok for the Kentucky winter but maybe next time get the 5W-30.

The receipt (attached) indicates Nissan kit 65F0C, with a 15208-65F0E filter and 3609X oil.

It is the 3609X oil I am wondering about...I searched the web, could not find anything definitive regarding its weight.

I'll be going to another Nissan dealership next week to get a new battery so I will show them the receipt.

But, I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me determine the weight of the 3609X oil.
Long story short. I think the dealer put 0w-16 in my 17 Camry 2.4 in error. Hop in the car at the dealer, fire it up, notice the engine feels more "free" than usual and my screen readout mpg is a little high. Drive it 2,000 miles notice mpg drops slightly and some lifter tick. Extract the oil and Install M1 0w20-AFE. No engine noise and mpg actually increases slightly back to "normal" for the AFE, I run. Your car will be OK on the 20w but if you notice a difference in engine noise you can take it back for a drain and fill or DYI. JMO

Last edited:
I have trust issues personally… Once I lose trust one time, every other thing done is in question. DIY seems the only choice for me.

Dealer service has lost my trust. Just that you can not determine from Service Manager what oil you got… Hmmm…

Last edited:
We had the exact opposite issue at our dealership. My mother in law's Rogue calls only for 0W-20 full synthetic. Our only-one-in-town Nissan dealer only uses bulk 5W-30 semi synthetic. Our service manager said Nissan would never deny a warranty claim based on using that oil instead of the one specified in the owner's manual, and it would cost "about $100" if they had to use the 0W-20 full synthetic instead. I had her start taking her own oil and filter to an independent instead.

We had the exact opposite issue at our dealership. My mother in law's Rogue calls only for 0W-20 full synthetic. Our only-one-in-town Nissan dealer only uses bulk 5W-30 semi synthetic. Our service manager said Nissan would never deny a warranty claim based on using that oil instead of the one specified in the owner's manual, and it would cost "about $100" if they had to use the 0W-20 full synthetic instead. I had her start taking her own oil and filter to an independent instead.
Someone who worked in the F&I office at a local Nissan dealership told me the same thing about the warranty. However, my understanding is that the oil channels in the block are designed for a specific weight...for proper (vertical) flow. I may follow your soluion and use an independent from now on.

As a thicker oil guy myself eh who cares, you got a full refund did you not. Run it for an interval and i think it'll be fine for just one go. It being a bit colder that oil probably isnt being thinned down as much anyway. Takes longer to heat up. Enjoy the 0.2mpg increase i suppose, then dump it once it's cooked and I'd actually suggest 10w-30 for its slightly better performance over 5w-30.

As a thicker oil guy myself eh who cares, you got a full refund did you not. Run it for an interval and i think it'll be fine for just one go. It being a bit colder that oil probably isnt being thinned down as much anyway. Takes longer to heat up. Enjoy the 0.2mpg increase i suppose, then dump it once it's cooked and I'd actually suggest 10w-30 for its slightly better performance over 5w-30.
Thanks, this is useful. I did get the full refund - more of a 'principle thing' than the money itself, if that makes sense.

I think I will do exactly what you suggested.

Yeah, one mechanic said that they get delivery from an oil truck that dumps it into a drum - and they only have
one drum, so everyone gets it.

I'd really like to know the weight of the Nissan 3609X oil...I know it's just a number on a sheet of paper, that
the dealership likly just gave me the oil from their storage drum, but I'd like to know anyways.
The simple truth is the service manager thinks "Oil is Oil"

I can't say for sure either, but my 17 frontier takes the 5w30, and yours takes 5w30, and many other Nissans I have seen, so it would seem that they would have 5w30 in stock.

It would seem like it but they don't. They assume everything gets 0w-20 and act accordingly. Like others have said, everybody gets filled from their bulk oil supply.

My dealer put 0w-20 in my Frontier which takes 5w-30.

The simple truth is the service manager thinks "Oil is Oil"
I was surprised how little the service manager at the Nissan dealership knew about cars. I'm no mechanic, but I rebuilt a '66 Mustang (engine) when I was a kid. I felt like I knew more about cars than the Nissan service manager did. Actually, when I asked the service-lady what oil did they put in, she didn't know there was different oil weights, and she had to go ask the tech guy and service manager. I guess she was just an admin staffer.

It would seem like it but they don't. They assume everything gets 0w-20 and act accordingly. Like others have said, everybody gets filled from their bulk oil supply.

My dealer put 0w-20 in my Frontier which takes 5w-30.
This seems pretty wrong to me. At the very least, they should ask you first if that is ok and what you want. Somewhat related, when I paid for my oil change, this was after the work was done, they told me that they charge an extra 3.9% if you use a credit card. Only a few bucks, but I paid in cash. She said "this is the worst part of this job, telling folks they get an extra 3.9% charge on the card. Imagine coming in for something that costs thousands of dollars?"

Wow, that invoice would not fly in California. We have to disclose the exact oil used per the Bureau of Automotive Repair. I had to go in and add comments that will print on the invoice giving the oil ratings also.

This seems pretty wrong to me. At the very least, they should ask you first if that is ok and what you want. Somewhat related, when I paid for my oil change, this was after the work was done, they told me that they charge an extra 3.9% if you use a credit card. Only a few bucks, but I paid in cash. She said "this is the worst part of this job, telling folks they get an extra 3.9% charge on the card. Imagine coming in for something that costs thousands of dollars?"

I agree it's wrong. But lots of things in this world are wrong.

If you roll your vehicle into a dealer and say "change the oil" 99% of the time you are going to get filled from their bulk supply. Which these days will be 0w-20. If your vehicle specs 0w-20 you are ok. If not, perhaps less so.

If you ask for synthetic, maybe you'll get the weight you specify. Maybe not. Unless you watch them put it in, you will never know.

Last edited:
Wow, that invoice would not fly in California. We have to disclose the exact oil used per the Bureau of Automotive Repair. I had to go in and add comments that will print on the invoice giving the oil ratings also.
That is very interesting! When I saw the receipt (KY), I was taken back. I lived in AZ, CT, and NY - they always printed the oil weight, and often the brand on the receipt. I assumed it was a legal requirement, or at least they did it to protect themselves legally - and that they were also trying to advertise the brand they used...so I would come back and say "Well, last time you put in Mobile 1, so let's do that again"

I agree it's wrong. But lots of things in this world are wrong.

If roll your vehicle into a dealer and say "change the oil" 99% of the time you are going to get filled from their bulk supply. Which these days will be 0w-20. If your vehicle specs 0w-20 you are ok. If not, perhaps less so.

If you ask for synthetic, maybe you'll get the weight you specify. Maybe not. Unless you watch them put it in, you will never know.
I guess this is what it comes down to. I would guess that the average person has no clue about this. For me, I can at least do it myself or
watch them put it in, like you said.

Back