Possibly bogus MANN/VW OEM filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received a 4-pack of VW OEM filters via Amazon for a great price.. here is the item:

https://amzn.to/2Qc2zk3

The VW part number is 06L115562. However on the filters themselves, they are labeled 06L115466, which is an older revision of the same filter. Seems odd, no?

The packaging looks fine, but is obviously easily copied...

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The filter's quality looks ok, but the printing on it - sketchy! Has the MANN FILTER logo, but also says "Czech Renuhlic", and I find it hard to believe that Mann would crank out filters with "Republic" spelled wrong, in 2 places no less...

[Linked Image from ]

The Amazon seller looks sketchy and sells some Chinese stuff, another possible red flag.

What do y'all think, are these actual Mann filters, or some knockoff Chinese stuff of unknown quality? I'm skeptical and considering sending them back. Thanks for any insight/opinions.

Last edited:
No idea but you seem to see a lot of red flags. If it's too good to be true, it usually is. May be safer just to send them back. Isn't worth destroying an engine over

Originally Posted by WellLubed
but also says "Czech Renuhlic", and I find it hard to believe that Mann would crank out filters with "Republic" spelled wrong, in 2 places no less...

Not necessarily misspelled. Rather the printer head missed the bottom part of the line, thus 'p' looks like 'n', and 'b' looks like 'h'.

Could still be a knock off though.

Kolhoffr the seller never said they were OEM, they did say this though: Those products are aftermarket ones,will perfect replace the original ones

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Not misspelled. Rather the printer head missed the bottom part of the line, thus 'p' looks like 'n', and 'b' looks like 'h'.

Could still be a knock off though.

Good catch - upon closer inspection I agree. I should have included a side shot of the media...

To my completely untrained eye, it looks fine. I'm starting to believe these are genuine Mann stuff.

I don't think the "n" is a mis-formed "p". The right side leg is flat, not rounded like a "p" would be. Same with the "h" vs "b".

Email MANN and attach photos to see what they think.

I've gotten tons of fakes from amazon.. even aquapel...

more fakes than ebay... no joke.

Originally Posted by Rand
I've gotten tons of fakes from amazon.. even aquapel...

more fakes than ebay... no joke.

It seems it has just recently started happening. Well, it seems I have just recently noticed.
I used to think if Amazon was the shipper, I was safe. I don't think that anymore.

The seller, Mr. Undenise has no feedback. Not a good sign.

It probably is another European market only product. Nothing wrong with that, especially anything made in the Czech Republic should be pretty good. For me though, I like to buy OE from the USA distributor channels. Amazon seems a little wide open, maybe too aggressive to add sales from anyone.. Compare the item to what a USA VW dealer sells.

On their way back. More red flags than my last relationship. It's ridiculous how poorly Amazon vets their outside vendors. So much sketchy stuff being sold there.

The only one I have to compare it to is an older OEM filter that came in a completely different box, looks completely different, and is made in Mexico, which is known to be normal for *some* of the filters that VW OEM's.

As for possibly being a euro-only part, based on the box markings, that doesn't seem to be the case. Between the misspelling on the filter, and the fact that the Amazon vendor appears to be Chinese, I'm not taking any chances on the possibility that they could be pure garbage. I'll find "real" Mann filters from a more reliable source. Thanks for everyone's input.

The printing on your filter and on the picture from Amazon is very different. And they both look suspicious. I doubt that this filter is genuine.

I would have to lean towards a printer error, which is quite common in high volume manufacturing. Its possible these were returns / rejects due to that specific error. Go with your gut feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back