Possible to drop engine/transmission out the bottom without a lift?

Might need to replace the torque converter on my 06 Saturn Vue V6 and the manual says trans comes out the bottom together with the engine. Without a lift, how doable is this? Getting it high enough off the ground shouldn't be a problem, but what to use to lower everything including the subframe to the ground? A transmission jack just isn't wide enough to support all that. What about one of these hydraulic tables? https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/814...ea1RTZxFr934vA_DcIFlJt6xwnMz9cBUaAh1gEALw_wcB

I don't know about a VUE but I did it with a pair of cavaliers.

I'd just use an engine crane. Imagine your center of gravity. Put a few scissor jacks from junk cars under the subframe to take the heavy side (not the full weight) and just manhandle it onto some dollys or something.

Had a Mercury Topaz 5 SPD... where engine/trans had to be dropped below main frame horns to be able to pull off, change harmonic balancer. There was no subframe, though. I feel your pain...

With enough height, and with staging either side of the car and in frt to step on, an engine support bar could drop engine, subframe, and trans to the grd... Or, remove subframe + wishbones(?) while supporting engine and trans (with engine support)... then drop the latter onto slideable sheet of plywood, dunnage for separation away from the vehicle.

???

Might need to replace the torque converter on my 06 Saturn Vue V6 and the manual says trans comes out the bottom together with the engine. Without a lift, how doable is this? Getting it high enough off the ground shouldn't be a problem, but what to use to lower everything including the subframe to the ground? A transmission jack just isn't wide enough to support all that. What about one of these hydraulic tables? https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/814...ea1RTZxFr934vA_DcIFlJt6xwnMz9cBUaAh1gEALw_wcB
I have done it in a Grand Prix and a few F-bodies. I would think the Vue might be a bit tougher. I used an engine hoist and jacks to do it on those cars.

Is this drivetrain pretty similar to the Honda Odyssey? I thought they had Honda engines. Maybe check out Youtube and Odyclub.com to see how other people have pulled motors and transmission in Odysseys...

Back