possible sludge in 01 Tundra with 190k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just picked up a 2001 Tundra with 190k. I decided to take a valve cover off to see what it looked like inside and its fairly coked up. Any ideas on how to deal with it? I've always been weary of putting anything in my engines besides oil but if there is something out there that isn't snake oil I'd be up to trying it. I'm also concerned about the stuff breaking loose and clogging. Any help here would be really appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know any maintenance history on it? Probably been run on dino.

Any shelved synthetic will slowly eat away at it, especially a high milage oil which has more detergent in it. If you're worried about the amount that comes off and clogging your oil filter, run a Fram Tough Guard for half of the 15,000 miles it's claimed to be good for, or whatever your OCI interval is...assuming it's lower (like 5k or 7500). I just found this at AZ and think it'd be one of your best bets after Valvoline MaxLife (maybe even a #1 contender): PPHM

You could also run SeaFoam a few hundred miles BEFORE an oil change and do that every OCI.

Some are going to say no to using synthetics because at nearly 200K miles and an unknown history leaks are a high probability. Personally, if it's a small leak and you use a high milage oil that has seal swellers in it( which I'm 98% certain they all do because that's pretty much what separates a HM oil from a not HM oil), I think the benefits outweigh the small leak, especially if you're in Cleveland, OH where it gets very cold.

And welcome to BITOG!
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Where in greater Cleveland are you?
I'm assuming that you mean the city in OH, since there are others of the same name.
We'll be in Rocky River Thursday, although that won't help you with your concerns.
I'd just run a few short changes of any inexpensive oil.
That alone will clean things up considerably.
3K OCIs on a daily driver with any oil will knock down the deposits considerably.
Replace the PCV valve and make sure that the hoses for it are unobstructed. A lack of flow to and through the PCV valve can be a cause of excessive deposits.
Good luck with this old Toy and welcome to BITOG!

That would have been helpful I suppose, unfortunately I did not. I'd take it off again but its about 10 degrees in my garage right now.

Thank you, From the looks of it, it almost definitely has been run on dino oil, with infrequent changes at best. I have no history it except that it is from PA. We get a lot of used vehicles that don't pass in inspection over there. This one has the famous Toyota frame rot so I wont be using it much until Toyota replaces the frame. I was thinking the same thing regarding oil changes, such as a high detergent oil and changing every 3k.

Yes, I am in Ohio, I am familiar with Rocky River business takes me there fairly often. I live way way on the other side of town though east of Cleveland.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Pics or its not sludged

Go pound yourself. If you like you can come here and take pictures.

Plastic valve cover? Those run cool and get sludge.

Was the metal valvetrain underneath bad off too?

The fact that he's been here for a decade means nothing to me. When someone questions my integrity that is the kind of response they get.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Not good etiquette for a rookie to talk like that to a forum member of over a decade.

For those who attempted to help, I greatly appreciate your help. I'll be off to somewhere else now as I can see where this thread is heading.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yamahaz
The fact that he's been here for a decade means nothing to me. When someone questions my integrity that is the kind of response they get.

Not good etiquette for a rookie to talk like that to a forum member of over a decade.

@Yamahaz. I'm sure he was just kidding.....haven't you heard "pics or it didn't happen" before?

I apologize for my tongue in cheek comment. But how hard it is to take a phone pic and post for all to see?

Last edited:
This one has the famous Toyota frame rot so I wont be using it much until Toyota replaces the frame.

I am the original owner of a 2000 Tundra. My frame was replaced by Toyota under a recall 25 months ago.
If you are expecting Toyota to pay for the frame replacement, make sure the recall is still in effect. When I did mine, I got in just under the wire as it expired at the end of 2012.

Mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back