Possible Military Coup in Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry,,,old HC has got our back, she will send in the military...lol......rite on....
banana2.gif

You never know what is real and what is staged nowadays. Especially with the new round of The Big Game and Putin being involved in that corner of the world the way he is..

Originally Posted By: Vdubuk
You don't want this country joining the European union..if you ever visit Turkey be extremely careful and if you have blonde haired sons or daughters avoid going altogether

Interesting. I've visited twice, toured all over. Granted I have brown hair, but I do have blue eyes, and have a wife and child with blue eyes and blonde hair. We toured the countryside, went places hours from our hotel, by car, and stopped at random places without feeling the slightest bit of intimidation. Do they have problems? Sure, like everywhere else. But certainly they are a wonderful people that are amazingly friendly and great to interact with.

I have no idea if Turkey is EU worthy, immigration worthy (though some great businesspeople I know in the USA were Turks), etc. but certainly your comments do not resemble my experiences.

Spent time in both Ankara and Istanbul - interesting and old - never felt uneasy ...

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
So to comfirm my understanding..

The more secular group is taking power?

Trying to. I'm seeing news the coup soldiers are surrendering.

Seeing video of Erdogan supporters beating up soldiers while the police try to arrest them.

As of now, 750 soldiers have been arrested. A lot of executions are going to happen.

Not all the soldiers were committed. The leader of the unit who took over a major airport gave himself up almost immediately and said he didn't support the coup.

Others though were and still are more committed. Soldiers on the bridge fired at protestors, a special police HQ was attacked, Parliament was attacked and small groups have dug in and are still fighting.

if you ever visit Turkey be extremely careful and if you have blonde haired sons or daughters avoid going altogether

I doubt you have ever visited Turkey. Totally [censored]. There are blonde haired people living in Turkey and they (some) don't look like middle eastern at all, especially people living in the western part of the country.

I admit that you need to be extremely careful if you take a taxi. Taxi drivers would try to rip you off if you are a tourist.

if you ever visit Turkey be extremely careful and if you have blonde haired sons or daughters avoid going altogether

What a load of nonsense.

I hope Turkey stays secular. I'm not so sure it will with this government. For a soldier to rebel against government there has to be something serious. Turkey is a NATO member, and Turkish army is a keeper of Atatürk's legacy.
I wish all the best to the Turkish people, but Turkey can't become member of EU. Cultural differences are too big.

However if that happens I'm selling everything I have and moving to Canada or OZ. I'm too old for Crusade.

I reckon this was just role play to push for Erdogan's absolute power. Turkey is no longer secular, the way her founding father intended. Looking at video footage both online and on live television, the country has been sucked into a realm of Sunni Islam. Not a good thing - once a pro-Western country now turned Middle Eastern in every possible sense. A future Iran is what I see.

You don't want this country joining the European union..if you ever visit Turkey be extremely careful and if you have blonde haired sons or daughters avoid going altogether

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Wasn't Erdogan recently kissing Vladimir Putin's [censored] in apology for downing the Russian fighter-bomber last year? What are the chances the coup was partially engineered by elements with close ties to Russia?

No. Another religious group (arguably more "moderate") tried to take the power, which is a small group.

Unlike the government, majority of the army is still secular though, but they rejected the coup as well as the opposition parties.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Wasn't Erdogan recently kissing Vladimir Putin's [censored] in apology for downing the Russian fighter-bomber last year? What are the chances the coup was partially engineered by elements with close ties to Russia?

No, he wasn't. The message was totally different. Find the text and read it for yourself.
It was Putin, who said that Turkey will not get away with tomato embargo alone, and then had to eat his hat - no more tourism and tomato embargo since last week.

Originally Posted By: dgunay

No. Another religious group (arguably more "moderate") tried to take the power, which is a small group.

Unlike the government, majority of the army is still secular though, but they rejected the coup as well as the opposition parties.

I was worried it was Isis backed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back