Possible EV rental next month

I'm taking my daughter on a weekend trip next month, and while I have our flights and accommodations booked, I have only barely had a chance to look into a rental (will probably look deeper and book this weekend). Hertz was the first one I pulled up, just to get an idea of what prices I am in for to start, and at the top of the vehicle selection page were three Teslas.

That got me thinking, the trip would be one where I can see the range of an EV working, and there seems to be a reasonable infrastructure of EV chargers where we are going. We fly in to Toronto Pearson, and our destination is about 130km to the north, a resort on the shores of Lake Huron, where we will probably park the vehicle on arrival, and except for maybe very short trips in the vicinity to go grab junk food and such, the vehicle will be parked most of the time. Sounds like a perfect situation for an EV, so it got me thinking, maybe this is a chance to try one out, and save some money versus having a rental with a gasoline engine. Also a perfect chance to experience one, as I suspect at some point in the future, it will be an inevitable addition to my family fleet.

But, EVs are completely new to me as a driver. What am I in for if I figure out the higher rental cost more than offsets what I would save on gas? There might be a possibility the resort may have EV charging stations available on their property, and I understand some places include this in their accommodation rate, so there is no extra cost to charge. If that isn't the case, I see the whole area is littered with EV charging stations from as close as across the street, including Tesla Superchargers.

It could be a Tesla from Hertz, or maybe some other EV from another agency. I don't know yet, so comments on Teslas specifically, as well as non-Tesla EVs would be helpful.

What I don't really know are:

1. Charging. I assume the chargers guide you through the payment process. But, how much can I expect to pay? I know this varies depending on where you are, but even getting an idea from EV drivers of the cost in your local area can help me get an idea. Also, how long does it take? I see Hertz indicates the vehicle must be returned at least 70% charged, so I assume other places will have similar policies. Could this charge up to at least that level be accomplished during a meal/shopping stop on the return trip to the airport?

2. Quirks about EVs versus their ICE counterparts. I know that Teslas have plenty of quirks, many unintuitive to those who've never driven one. But what about other EVs from "mainstream" manufacturers of ICE cars?

3. Energy consumption. Just how much energy can I expect an EV to use per distance travelled?

4. Rental experience. Anyone who's rented one, did you find how things were handled with the rental process from start to finish being different than a mainstream ICE car?
Thanks.

1. Energy consumption. Just how much energy can I expect an EV to use per distance travelled?
You rent it for the experience, not to save money. From what I understand, unless you can charge for free, the rates at charging stations are often more than if you had driven a gas car.

Check out the website called " a better route planner"

Plan your trip out here it will show you chargers along your route and allow you to set a return destination soc (state of charge).

The car will plan your charging for you as well, but you'll have more comfort seeing the route up front.

Cant really say what costs will be but similar to a mid sized car.

You will need to understand and learn the tablet interface and voice commands or you will be frustrated. Some find it intuitive whils others find it maddening.
I think Hertz charges you a flat fee for charging when you return the vehicle. Regardless, you need to compare total rental costs without your charging and see if that is acceptable. Including insurance!

Charging is easy around here; not sure about your location. 20 minutes gets you about 80%, depending.

If you are up for it, you are likely to have a blast. Keep us posted with your results, good and bad.

I just picked a random place on the lake, but it looks like it will be pretty easy going...

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 9.05.21 AM.jpg

Well, I could certainly see wanting to try out an EV. The last consideration I would be giving it is the cost of 10 gallons of gasoline if you chose a gasoline vehicle instead.
I don’t know about Canada but the cost difference would be about $30 and I’m sure you’ll pay more for the EV rental And inconvenience of charging it

Quick question: when you rent an EV from say, Hertz, do they give you a ChargePoint card to use or do you have to apply for a card? or use credit card whenever you charge?

Back