Possible bad wheel bearing?

2018 Legacy. A little history. I got the tires rotated a few days ago and changed the oil today. I haven't really been driving the car much because my wife has been taking it to work to put miles on it.

Well today after the oil change I noticed a sound that kinda sounds like whirring (spelling?) and thumping. I notice it more at much slower speeds and when turning it gets louder.

Any thoughts? Car has 35k miles and is just at 4 years old. Unfortunately, I'm leaving on Saturday for vacation and we are taking that car. It figures this happens right before I leave.

Also posted in my Subaru forum.

Sunday might not be Funday. I'd have that looked at by a competent dealer first thing tomorrow morning. Use a sick day if needed.

Find a smooth freshly paved road and do some side to side swerving. If the noise gets louder one way, and disappears in the other, a "hub" bad bearing on one side.
Also try breaking and see what the noise does, the ideal is you apply the brakes and the pads will remove any play from worn/cracked bearings. All my bearing problems are a result of hitting curbs, or potholes, the bearings don't go out right a way either.

Did the traditional lift car and pry on rims, one side has a very VERY little play. Changed that side. Used a OTC "Super Grappler" and got the job done.

pretty early for a wheel bearing failure. ('18/35k)
hopefully it's a tire issue.

Does the noise get louder any way you turn or only a left or right turn?
Honestly I know it happens while turning left as for turning right, not exactly sure. Most of my right turns require me to give it gas which covers up the sound but on my way to the dealer tomorrow I'll try and pay close attention.

^ I tend to agree, get a RoadForce done on the front tires!
I just had the tires balances (I doubt they were roadforce) on Saturday. I didn't notice it on Saturday. My wife drove the car the last 2 days and with the radio up she doesn't notice anything. I notice the noise while going slower. For instance, on my road I go up a small hill then down the hill and it bears left. I hit the brakes a little because if I don't I could end up in a neighbors house and it seems to have gotten louder while hitting the brakes though I was also slowing down. Hopefully I can get this resolved tomorrow.

Thanks all for the responses.

Low miles or not, it wouldn't surprise me if one of your rear bearings already failed. Good thing is: being a 2018 you should have no issue replacing said part. I see tons of rear bearing failures on newer Subies.

You’d like to think that. I just had one put in my 19 Mazda 3 with 45k.
WHAT are they making these wheel bearings from?????
Subaru usually means Japanese brand KOYO bearings, what Kawasaki / Fuji Heavy Industry prefers.
They last. And last. At least they did through 1999/2000. They also run 3x more expensive. Figured it was KOYO QC .

Went to the dealer. Tires are cupped. Probably noticing now because I just got a rotation done. I'll deal with it because the tires have plenty of tread and replacing them isn't in the budget.

Back