Portillos in Davenport IA, and **** Portillo

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Working in the quad city area for 36 hours and was pleasantly surprised to find a Portillos in Davenport IA. Portillos was founded in Villa Park IL in a trailer with no water. I suspect **** Portillo, a former Marine, is a billionaire today.

The food at Portillos is of such good quality when compared to other fast food. Even his cups for a coke are quality. Portillos is a great value for a nice meal.

A real American success story, **** Portillo and his restaurants. **** sold the chain a few years ago, he must be in his 70s or maybe even 80s.

PXL_20220815_234009878.jpg
PXL_20220815_232722025.jpg
PXL_20220815_233352333.jpg
PXL_20220815_233357637.jpg
PXL_20220815_233404417.jpg

Last edited:
We live about 1/2 mile from a Portillo's and agree with your assessment of their food. I've read that Portillo's has one of the highest spends per customer visit of any fast food restaurant in the country, also an testament of good food and good service. **** sold Portillo's in 2014 for around $1 billion.

Working in the quad city area for 36 hours and was pleasantly surprised to find a Portillos in Davenport IL. Portillos was founded in Villa Park IA in a trailer with no water. I suspect **** Portillo, a former Marine, is a billionaire today.

The food at Portillos is of such good quality when compared to other fast food. Even his cuos for a coke are quality. Portillos is a great value for a nice meal.

A real American success story, **** Portillo and his restaurants. **** sold the chain a few years ago, he must be in his 70s or maybe even 80s.

Welcome to the area! I agree with @mrsilv04 Machine Shed for the win! It is a local favorite and always has good food. When my aunt and uncle come to visit they always ask to go to "the place that serves the kids meal in a John Deere toy wagon." :ROFLMAO:

just my $0.02

Reactions: GON
My goal before I leave the Quad Cities tomorrow on a 315pm flight is to have an Iowa pork tenderloin sandwich.

Looks like Machine Shed for breakfast tomorrow morning- thanks for the recommendation!

Working in the quad city area for 36 hours and was pleasantly surprised to find a Portillos in Davenport IA. Portillos was founded in Villa Park IL in a trailer with no water. I suspect **** Portillo, a former Marine, is a billionaire today.

The food at Portillos is of such good quality when compared to other fast food. Even his cups for a coke are quality. Portillos is a great value for a nice meal.

View attachment 112701View attachment 112697View attachment 112698View attachment 112699View attachment 112700
My goal before I leave the Quad Cities tomorrow on a 315pm flight is to have an Iowa pork tenderloin sandwich.

Looks like Machine Shed for breakfast tomorrow morning- thanks for the recommendation!
I'll have to check out Portillos next time I'm in town. I just left QC around noon today, in Albert Lea, MN tonight and hopefully headed home to SW MO tomorrow afternoon. The Machine Shed is fantastic. Ross's is one to check out too. They used to be under the old I-74 bridge but moved up to a nicer part of town when the construction started. Calypso's in the Isle of Capri was really good too but it's also gone.

Sports fans in Bettendorf does a good tenderloin.

I’ll have to try Portillo the next time I have to stay over there. It seems like every time I find a good chain to grab a quick bite before I go crash at the hotel is gone the next time I am over there.

Normally do not need an order of fries with a pork tenderloin sandwich. Most are really huge!

I recall going to their joint on Clark and Ontario in Chicago every time I visited the city in late 90-s/early 2000-s. Mainly for the Chicago style hot dogs over a few beers because it was within a walking/stumbling distance from the hotel. Needed the beer to wash down the very salty food.

When they sold the band name and the chain started expanding and it's wildly popular in places where they operate in Illinois. Quite a lot of Illinoisans south of Springfield haven't been to Chicago but like hot dogs. I'm sure it's popular in the other states as well.

BTW, who else thinks ketchup on hot dogs is barbaric and vile?

The first time someone in Chicagoland saw me put ketchup and mustard on a hotdog, I thought they were going to tar and feather me. I get that response often and now I just casually say, "I'm not from here".

The first time someone in Chicagoland saw me put ketchup and mustard on a hotdog, I thought they were going to tar and feather me. I get that response often and now I just casually say, "I'm not from here".
Chili mustard and ketchup, i thought that was standard!

View attachment 112701View attachment 112697View attachment 112698View attachment 112699View attachment 112700
Stopped there last time I was in the Quad Cities area for some work earlier this year.

Needed gas and Costco was across the street (or pretty close) IIRC and the construction was a bit of a hassle.
Springfield, IL is the closest location for me now and I hit it up a few times a year going to or from Decatur.

Davenport - Iowa Machine Shed Restaurant
7250 Northwest Boulevard
Davenport, IA 52806

Iowa Machine Shed has been hit or miss for me and I'll eat almost anything.
Certainly worth a try. As others have said, probably don't need fries with a Pork Tenderloin sandwich. Try to get something that is a green vegetable to counteract some of the copious "Vitamin F" you get with a Fried tenderloin sandwich.

I recall going to their joint on Clark and Ontario in Chicago every time I visited the city in late 90-s/early 2000-s. Mainly for the Chicago style hot dogs over a few beers because it was within a walking/stumbling distance from the hotel. Needed the beer to wash down the very salty food.

When they sold the band name and the chain started expanding and it's wildly popular in places where they operate in Illinois. Quite a lot of Illinoisans south of Springfield haven't been to Chicago but like hot dogs. I'm sure it's popular in the other states as well.

Vr, should not have brought up ketchup on dogs. I will start a new thread about it. My thesis I doubt you will like .

Sports fans in Bettendorf does a good tenderloin.

I’ll have to try Portillo the next time I have to stay over there. It seems like every time I find a good chain to grab a quick bite before I go crash at the hotel is gone the next time I am over there.
IMO Sports fan's has the best pizza in town especially since Wise Guys was sold and since closed.

just my $0.02

Back