Porsche Taycan. UK realworld fast charge experience at public charging station. Neat video

It’s your opinion if they should mention something. They have theirs. No way to know what others are thinking so stories about bias are just stories. In this comparison test they put Tesla number one and the Porsche number two. I don’t know how that’s showing bias towards their advertisers. I thought it was pretty good. I think Porsche is the master car builder and Tesla the beginner, looking at things like that performance consistency from the Porsche. In Germany people go through a tough training process before they can work for a company like Porsche. Carl Zeiss was the same in optics. That’s how I see it.
I agree with a lot of what you say. What I just don't get is how Porsche fell so short of their projections.
As a world class car, the Porsche is flat out awesome. As an EV, it is average at best.
All in, the 8 year old Tesla Model S is a better car according to all the reviews I have seen.
I expected more from the mighty Porsche.

C&D didn't mention one word about Tesla. That's really strange and poor journalism. Not mentioning one word also matches the dollars from Tesla advertising - zero. The three German makes in the course of a year probably spend millions with C&D.
Maybe so. Clearly, they are a business. We've accused them of this for as long as I've been around....

since for decades C&D was the trusted source I used most for automotive information.
Those of us that frequent the road race tracks and drag strips have suspected that C+D has been biased for years. As their specs, reviews and results often don't seem to clearly match what happens in the real world.

In some ways, the move to electrical propulsion seems like the switch from the steam engine to the internal combustion engine, a game changer.

I just don't get is how Porsche fell so short of their projections.
That's the thing, they really produced a car that is the pinnacle of what's currently possible. With models up to 750HP and low 2 second 0-60 times. As it is with many other products, it's best to objectively compare them, and not to believe the published specs. When compared correctly, it becomes clear that the range achieved (and rates of acceleration) is commensurate with battery capacity. And that there is very little difference in range between cars with similar battery sizes.

Possibly the best way is to simply look at Watt Hours Per Mile of each model in real world use, in the same locations, on the same trips. What we will find is that somewhere in the mid 300 WH/M is really common. Running the heat or AC and highway or city driving greatly affects that. Misers can be well below 300, people like me who enjoy driving will be in the upper 300's. In any of the vehicles, from the Chevy Bolt to the mighty Taycan.

It used to be the magazines were the be all end all of auto info. We all trusted a group of 4 or 5 professionals and for the most part they did and do a very good, and fairly unbiased job. We waited a month to see which cars got tested and read mini reviews of the less desirable stuff.
The Toyota you wanted to know about because you needed a new car shared space and limited attention with the Ferraris, and Mclarens that were entertaining to know about but would never buy.

Depth on subjects or models was limited to an article of a few pages as most as you didn't have the space or the correct people.

Now with youtube and the web there are forums for almost every car and brand and videos released every day from all kinds of enthusiasts that offer not only more depth in certain areas, but often more realistic comparisons and overall information.

Bjorn Nyland comes to mind as one of these people thats has become a subject matter expert in EV's. For example check his comparison of 800 Volt vs 400 volt charging its loaded with all kinds real world data and discusses Model 3 and Taycans strength and weaknesses. Which one made it a lap and half at the ring before battery overheat and which one made it 3.
You won't find anything printed in one place with near the amount of detail he provides on his youtube site.

A Magazine that drives a few cars for a day or so, or an extended review has standard useful metrics, but no actual hardcore data associated with EV's and the different metrics that they bring to the table, it is of much less value to me aside from the prettiest still photos.
"Phil and Joe liked/ got this, but Bob and Mike only got/ didnt like that".

It used to be the magazines were the be all end all of auto info. We all trusted a group of 4 or 5 professionals and for the most part they did and do a very good, and fairly unbiased job. We waited a month to see which cars got tested and read mini reviews of the less desirable stuff.
The Toyota you wanted to know about because you needed a new car shared space and limited attention with the Ferraris, and Mclarens that were entertaining to know about but would never buy.

Depth on subjects or models was limited to an article of a few pages as most as you didn't have the space or the correct people.

Now with youtube and the web there are forums for almost every car and brand and videos released every day from all kinds of enthusiasts that offer not only more depth in certain areas, but often more realistic comparisons and overall information.

Bjorn Nyland comes to mind as one of these people thats has become a subject matter expert in EV's. For example check his comparison of 800 Volt vs 400 volt charging its loaded with all kinds real world data and discusses Model 3 and Taycans strength and weaknesses. Which one made it a lap and half at the ring before battery overheat and which one made it 3.
You won't find anything printed in one place with near the amount of detail he provides on his youtube site.

A Magazine that drives a few cars for a day or so, or an extended review has standard useful metrics, but no actual hardcore data associated with EV's and the different metrics that they bring to the table, it is of much less value to me aside from the prettiest still photos.
"Phil and Joe liked/ got this, but Bob and Mike only got/ didnt like that".
What are you doing with the 0-60 runs? The Tesla S was a v6 Camry after a couple runs, while the Porsche kept essentially the same times with only a very slight rise in times. This was the most surprising thing in the tests I read, and they are real tests.

What are you doing with the 0-60 runs? The Tesla S was a v6 Camry after a couple runs, while the Porsche kept essentially the same times with only a very slight rise in times. This was the most surprising thing in the tests I read, and they are real tests.

What are you doing with the 0-60 runs? The model 3P can repeat over 30 launches with only a .2 second rise just like the Taycan
The Taycan is double the price. It was a surprising video that documented each run, and it was a real test.

I'd think repeated back-to-back 0-60 runs with an EV would heat up the motors. etc and reduce some acceleration performance, just like it does with an ICE. But maybe EVs are even more sensitive to heating up.

Edit - just saw UD's comment. But how much time was given between the 0-60 runs? Enough time for motors to cool if needed?

I'd think repeated back-to-back 0-60 runs with an EV would heat up the motors. etc and reduce some acceleration performance, just like it does with an ICE. But maybe EVs are even more sensitive to heating up.

Edit - just saw UD's comment. But how much time was given between the 0-60 runs? Enough time for motors to cool if needed?

When the taycan got tested it was a 0-60 with a return cool down then another 0-60.

the model 3 P has a track mode that funs the battery cooling on high and kicks up the fans, Im sure it reduces range but it seems to keep it cool under fairly intense driving

Last edited:
A Model 3 Performance is $54K without FSD ($10K). You could buy 3 or 4 for the price of a Taycan Turbo S.
Or 2 for the cheapest Taycan.
The M3P does 0 to 60 in 3.1 seconds with a top speed over 160 mph. Tuners (suspension, wheels and tires) are improving on these cars.
And there is more to come.
You could make life miserable for any Taycan with a car like this. Or just about any other car for that matter.

What are you doing about the Taycan overheating ?
Porsche said it won't do that?

What are you doing about the Taycan overheating ?
Porsche said it won't do that?

When I said“what are you doing with” it refers to this graph, like I said, nothing else. No Bjorn, no other cars, just this. It wasn’t meant to be inflammatory, just a question. What are you doing with this test? They also said the S requires some kind of warm up prep to get the fast time, while the Porsche does not. Just get in and go. On the sixth run the S was at 7 secs. 0-60, and about 15.5 1/4 mile. The Porsche held it’s values. That’s just what the test shows, it isn’t a battle.
1609281596715.png

I couldn't tell where you were going with the post so I just wrote mine like yours.

Looks like car and driver had a huge delta that day in running multiple quarter mile tests.

Model 3 does better than S in terms of multiple launches and runs.

Looks like the taycan has an overheat problem on the track which brings regeneration into play where 1/4 mile runs dont.

Just an FYI, the tabless battery will likely solve a major battery temp problem with performance EV's. As the internal resistance is far lower, and heat transfer is considerably better (hence the larger size) . Tabless is about 3x better at handling high currents and the resulting heat. (don't be fooled by the 6X claims, that's compared to a much smaller battery such as the 18650 or 2170. But the tabless is physically larger and has more capacity, hence it really needs a 2 to 1 comparison.

Saw another Taycan on the freeway today. It was a beautiful white model.
I didn't get a chance to get close, but sure was gorgeous!

When not ordered with inane colors its an awesome car.

It gets compared with the S all the time, but the space in the back seat is really tiny and it has almost no luggage space.

You can pick up 4 people at the airport and their luggage with an S - but you cannot hope to do it in a taycan.

When not ordered with inane colors its an awesome car.

It gets compared with the S all the time, but the space in the back seat is really tiny and it has almost no luggage space.

You can pick up 4 people at the airport and their luggage with an S - but you cannot hope to do it in a taycan.
If I were to spend 200 large on a car, I would wait for the Roadster 2.
The Taycan, and pretty much everything else, pales in comparison.
For me, the Model 3 is plenty of car. In fact, I would take a M3P over a Taycan anyday.
Flame suit on...

If I were to spend 200 large on a car, I would wait for the Roadster 2.
The Taycan, and pretty much everything else, pales in comparison.
For me, the Model 3 is plenty of car. In fact, I would take a M3P over a Taycan anyday.
Flame suit on...

I think the base taycan is 100K which put it in the range of the S.
Its kind of hard to tell what car is being tested against what which is likely intentional.

I think the base taycan is 100K which put it in the range of the S.
Its kind of hard to tell what car is being tested against what which is likely intentional.
There are 3 Taycan models...
The base 2021 Porsche Taycan 4S starts at $104K.
The Taycan Turbo starts at $151K.
The Taycan Turbo S starts at $185K.

Generally add $30K (or more) to those prices for MSRP; of course there are no strippies.

Back