Porsche Taycan. UK realworld fast charge experience at public charging station. Neat video

Shmee is a big automotive youtuber. It's a Vlog so the point is for him to talk to the camera. Super common all over youtube.

He just got that Taycan and it's his first EV. It's interesting watching him be an EV noob (like myself) and go through the learning process in his videos.

Strong sales (for Porsche) of the taycan on the US. I was reading this morning that they sold 2900 of them through 3 quarters. It's actually the best selling Porsche car (not suv). Considering covid and other factors I think it is a strong showing. I was going to post a thread about it but it seems good here.

It's a killer ride. Beautiful.

Interesting to hear het gets about 170 miles normally.

I was hoping we'd see some interim detail - like what you get in 5-10-15 min.

They look waaaay better on the road. Drop dead gorgeous... And man this car is quick! We were having fun with it in traffic on the El Camino Real in Santa Clara, CA.
1608564216688.jpg

92 cents US per Kwh of charge. Converted the 0.69 British pound.
If charging at home, most of us can get at least 12 cents per Kwh when charging overnight , not sure what it costs in England
Interesting.

With a 90 Kwh battery (usable), and 170 miles of range, that cost is 49 cents per mile.
Premium gasoline is $1.50 per liter in England right now.
An average 911 may get 10L per 60 miles consumption.
Average cost per mile - 25 cents.

You would really want to have the Taycan at 2x the energy cost - at least in this example.

If charging at home, most of us can get at least 12 cents per Kwh when charging overnight , not sure what it costs in England
Interesting.

With a 90 Kwh battery (usable), and 170 miles of range, that cost is 49 cents per mile.

You would really want to have the Taycan at 2x the energy cost - at least in this example.

Most road based high speed chargers outside of teslas are a total rip off.

Interesting.

I'm currently paying a flat rate of £0.143/kWh (approx $0.19) on a general domestic tariff (ie not one optimised for EV or heavy overnight use).

The Taycan is beautiful and has to be an incredible driver's car; it's a Porsche.
As an EV, it leaves a lot to be desired.
With a Tesla, you pull up to the charging station, grab the handle, pull it to the car's port, press a button on the handle to open the port door and plug in. No cards, no hassle. The charging network has been built out and is growing.
An entry level Model 3 offers 263 mile range and starts at $37K.
I'm sorry, but the Taycan fails in comparison.
At almost a third less money the Model S Plaid offers 520 miles range and under 2 second 0 - 60 speed.
The Roadster 2 will have over 600 mile range and will be the highest performing sports car at any price.

Given this, it is hard for me to be impressed with the Taycan.

Last edited:
3% BATTERY LEFT! My Porsche Taycan Turbo S Rapid …:

Hit the back button after a minute with that annoying background noise. Don't people know how to dub a video? Did hear him say he didn't have the ability to charge at his home. That's totally nuts. Why would you buy an EV if you couldn't do that?

Oh well, charge at home and go out for a nice two hour drive.
That guy can't charge at home. He shows a pic of his parking spot. I wonder if the excessive charging time counts against average vehicle speed.

As for the Model S Plaid and Roadster, they are still vaporware. I dispute the range specs, the tech does not yet exist for such monumental increases in range. Furthermore, despite Tesla's range superiority, Tesla's calculation of range is rather different (and optimistic) than other manufacturers. Again, real world 80MPH highway range hovers around 200 miles, at which point finding a charger is now a priority.

Also of note, Car and Driver directly compared the Model S and Taycan highway range. Quote C+D: "The results were far closer than we expected: 209 miles for the Taycan, and 222 for the Model S" (again, this is highway range)

Note 2: Porsche limits the 93Kwh battery to somewhere in the mid 80Kwh's. This DIRECTLY results in the slightly less range of the Taycan.

Last edited:
That guy can't charge at home. He shows a pic of his parking spot. I wonder if the excessive charging time counts against average vehicle speed.

As for the Model S Plaid and Roadster, they are still vaporware. I dispute the range specs, the tech does not yet exist for such monumental increases in range. Furthermore, despite Tesla's range superiority, Tesla's calculation of range is rather different (and optimistic) than other manufacturers. Again, real world 80MPH highway range hovers around 200 miles, at which point finding a charger is now a priority.

Also of note, Car and Driver directly compared the Model S and Taycan highway range. Quote C+D: "The results were far closer than we expected: 209 miles for the Taycan, and 222 for the Model S" (again, this is highway range)

Note 2: Porsche limits the 93Kwh battery to somewhere in the mid 80Kwh's. This DIRECTLY results in the slightly less range of the Taycan.
They should advertise the actual usable capacity along with the manufactured capacity of a battery. I don't know what Tesla does, no limited capacity?

I dont trust car and driver to properly conduct an EV test. Especially when one party buys no advertising.

True at 80 MPH you are going to get reduced range on all EV's and I agree with Cujet that around 200 - 220 is where you will land.

In terms of comparisons one has to look at all the variable including the fact that that Taycan is a smaller shorter vehicle with a better CD than the S and that makes a difference at 80 MPH.

Look at Bjorn Nylands testing he runs 2 tests one at 90KPH(55) and one at 120 KPH (74)

Note the long range Model S can go farther at 74 MPH than the Taycan can go at 55.

At 55 MPH where drag is minimize the efficiency difference between the two is notable in terms of WH per mile/K.
Of course the taycan has wider bigger tires.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.15.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.14.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.34.04 AM.png

The Taycan enjoys a considerable boost in performance and range from its expensive 2 speed gear box.

Last edited:
First thing I thought of after watching this guy plug in his car is that what would happen in pouring down rain?

A bright blue flash and ⚡💥

FYI you can currently order the Roadster 2 (reservation) and Model S Plaid (late 2021 delivery).
Respectfully, Elon has delivered in comparison to any other EV maker.

Model S Plaid
Roadster 2 Reservation

You've been able to order a roadster for a while, the owner of my company gave tesla 50K I think 2 years ago.

Agreed, he's late but delivers. he did great with the Y, it came out early.

Back