Porsche Maintenance! OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from Porsche Website http://content3.us.porsche.com/prod/boxster/boxsters.nsf/usaenglish/designmaintenance

Longer service intervals are not only easier on resources, they also make good financial sense. Over the years, Porsche has consistently reduced its servicing requirements, as well as the number of tasks. On both the Boxster and Boxster S models, the intervals speak for themselves: engine oil every 20,000 miles (or two years), spark plugs every 60,000 miles (or four years), oil filter every 20,000 miles, and air filter every 40,000 miles.
The brake fluid interval is two years, while the coolant is good for the life of the car. So you can enjoy your new Boxster for two years or 20,000 before you

Will German Castrol last 20k? This is crazy!

I don't know about GC (fairly weak TBN, very few reports to date of anyone really successfully running it over 10k miles), but a true extended drain oil such as M1 EP, Amsoil, Esso XD-3, etc. shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

GC might do okay on low-sulfur California and European petrols, but it doesn't hold up well TBN-wise. Compared with the HDEO's as I listed above.

Sorry, Porsche, but "no thanks" to a 20K oil change...if nothing else I wouldn't be able to stand the look of the oil at that distance. I have about 4300 on the GC in my Audi right now and I can't wait to get it changed.

quote:

Originally posted by zmeli:
This is from Porsche Website http://content3.us.porsche.com/prod/boxster/boxsters.nsf/usaenglish/designmaintenance

Longer service intervals are not only easier on resources, they also make good financial sense. Over the years, Porsche has consistently reduced its servicing requirements, as well as the number of tasks. On both the Boxster and Boxster S models, the intervals speak for themselves: engine oil every 20,000 miles (or two years), spark plugs every 60,000 miles (or four years), oil filter every 20,000 miles, and air filter every 40,000 miles.
The brake fluid interval is two years, while the coolant is good for the life of the car. So you can enjoy your new Boxster for two years or 20,000 before you

Will German Castrol last 20k? This is crazy!

A) Boxsters have a 12+ quart sump and typically burn a quart of oil per 1K miles. Adding that much oil would certainly help replenish depleted additives. I hear changing the oil is a royal PITA to boot.
B) Spark plugs every 60K miles is common. I pulled out the factory ND platinums in my '95 Integra GS-R and they were in good shape at 70K miles. Some newer iridium plugs are rated for over 100K miles of service.
C) The oil filter is probably a special expensive type. I wouldn't be surprised if it's also a special 100% polyester media.
D) Brake fluid every 2 years / 30K miles is common. GM, Ford, and Toyota don't recommend regular brake fluid changes at all.

Porsche will make more money out of this deal. Most people will take this OCI Literally without UOA and need a new Porsche at 100K

quote:

Porsche will make more money out of this deal. Most people will take this OCI Literally without UOA and need a new Porsche at 100K

You know, zmeli, despite my deep opposition to long oil intervals, which is purely a "personal thing," I don't think that is the case...I think with Porsche recommended oils, the engine will last pretty close, if not equal, to what it would with 6000 mile oil changes. I am thinking about getting a Porsche Boxster or Cayman and I just--at this point--could not do the long changes.

Hi,
for the last 20 years AT LEAST Porsche have recommended 12k (20kkms) OCIs - initially using mineral oils. The OCIs were NOT increased with the move to a synthetic Factory fill in 1992

The move to longer OCIs is on worldwide and Porsche's Approved oils list is very relevant today. As is MB and VW.
In trucking circles it has been on since 1992 with MB recommending 160kkms OCIs in their engines!

For those that "knock" 0w-40 synthetics this is the ONLY permitted grade of oil to be used in the biturbo Porsche Cayenne V8

There are many Porsche V8 engines in service with near to 600kkms (360kmiles) that have zero oil consumption and have never been touvched from new (MY'78>)

Regards
Doug

I stand corrected 12 QT's and a long life filter, makes a difference. German castrol is "Porsche Approved" That should say something about the quality of the GC base stock.

I still can not afford a Porsche. Maybe with a 50k drain interval!

Financial sense??? The Porshe people need to worry about financial sense. Worry about the resources? drive a Honda !

quote:

I stand corrected 12 QT's and a long life filter, makes a difference. German castrol is "Porsche Approved" That should say something about the quality of the GC base stock.

I still can not afford a Porsche. Maybe with a 50k drain interval!

I hear the cartridge filter and O-ring is somewhere in the $15-20 range at the dealer. The following says to expect to drain 9 quarts, although I believe something like 3 quarts will remain in the sump:

http://www.986faq.com/7-0/oil.asp

The parts needed are rather unusual - an 8 mm allen wrench and a cap wrench to remove the filter housing(?) Access seems to be fairly limited.

Hi,
zmeli - the Boxter typically has a 8.7ltr oil capacity including the filter

Except for the dry sump engines which hold from 10 to 11.5ltrs, most Porsche engines have a sump capacity of from 5 to 9ltrs. Most have a thermostatically controlled oil cooler - the thermostat typically opens at 87C. Oil temps in normal use run in the 87C to 105C range (93-95C being common)

Typically, owners use an OEM filter (MANN, Knecht etc),these are durable and espcially set up for the high oil pressures these engines generate - up to 9bar (nearly 140psi). In OZ these filters (MANN) sell for around $20

As for VW, they offer uo to 80kkms (50km)OCIs on some engines. In consort with Castrol they have field tested a large number of engines in a variety of "normal" use situations with no oil change up to five years and more. Their testing includes vehicles in extremely low use cycles and those that do an average years distance per month!

Regards
Doug

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
zmeli - the Boxter typically has a 8.7ltr oil capacity including the filter

Except for the dry sump engines which hold from 10 to 11.5ltrs, most Porsche engines have a sump capacity of from 5 to 9ltrs. Most have a thermostatically controlled oil cooler - the thermostat typically opens at 87C. Oil temps in normal use run in the 87C to 105C range (93-95C being common)

Typically, owners use an OEM filter (MANN, Knecht etc),these are durable and espcially set up for the high oil pressures these engines generate - up to 9bar (nearly 140psi). In OZ these filters (MANN) sell for around $20

As for VW, they offer uo to 80kkms (50km)OCIs on some engines. In consort with Castrol they have field tested a large number of engines in a variety of "normal" use situations with no oil change up to five years and more. Their testing includes vehicles in extremely low use cycles and those that do an average years distance per month!

Regards
Doug

Hi Doug,

You just love to tinker with my comfort zone don't you?
grin.gif

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back