Porsche 991.2 Carrera S (3.0 twin turbo - NOT the "Turbo" model) - switching to Liqui Moly, but which one?

Thanks for the add. New guy here. I've got a 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.2) with the twin turbo 3.0 L engine (Not the "Turbo" model, but still a turbo powered vehicle). The car has only 7k miles and has had two oil changes in the last 4 years at the dealer with the factory recommended Mobil 1 0w-40. The vehicle has always 'lived' in South Florida and will remain in a relatively warm climate. I don't track the car but I drive moderate-to-aggressively for a typical suburban occasional driver.

I've read lots of threads recommending other so called better oils and even the local performance Porsche independent mechanics recommend Liqui Moly for this vehicle instead of Mobil 1. Also thinking about going from 0w-40 to 5w-40 or 5w-50 but don't know which way to go. My concern is whether I should switch at all if I'm not having any issues and whether or not switching to a different viscosity will adversely affect engine longevity. Also curious if a switch is made if it affects the tolerances of the engine and make it impossible to switch back if issues arise later.

I'm planning to do an oil change using the same factory oil (Mobil 1 0w-40) that has been used so far and send a sample to Blackstone. I don't expect there to be any issues or red flags but I plan to switch oils on the following change which I'll probably begin doing every 3k miles or so. I'm ok with switching but there are several different lines of Liqui Moly. I have no idea which one to go with. I don't have a problem spending more to buy the 'best' one as to me this is a small investment to keep the car running optimally for a long time.

Looking for advice all around on whether or not to switch as well as which oil is best for this car. Thanks!

Here's a pic of all the different Liqui Moly oils available in 5w-40. The only one that's available in 0w-40 is the blue one (3rd one on the top row).
1612380737023.png

Which ones carry the actual approval that's required by the manufacturer? Grade is going to be irrelevant unless you wish to argue over a winter rating due to your expected starting temperatures. If it's below -35F or so then the winter rating can be ignored as well. You're focusing on grade and brand when that's not what's important.

If you're looking for suggestions then buy the least expensive oil you can find which has the approval that's needed.

Last edited:
What does the manual recommend? If it recommends A40, I would use Mobil1 5w-50. Our local Porsche Indy, very well respected in the P car community, uses Motul.

I was never a fan of Liqui Moly...not for any concrete reason other than the number of additives they sell, reminds me a little too much of STP and Rislone... Again, this is my opinion and I am sure it is an adequate oil and I feel the same way about Amsoil which is also probably a good enough oil.

Just a heads up, the 0w40 options are usually a "step up" from the 5w40 Euro oils. From what I understand, it requires a superior base stock in order to meet the viscosity spread requirements of a 0w40. An example is Castrol 5w40 uses a Grp III base while Castrol 0w40 uses a Grp IV base stock.

There are even more differences, if you want to follow me down the rabbit hole, you can do so here:

Porsche deservs ravenol,amsoil,redline,motul,m1 esp ex but liquimoly?
respect the car get a top tier oil not an average,over hyped and over priced oil.

I would imagine the car calls for C30 specification? In that case you would want 4200. Or a better option is Mobil 1 ESP.

If it does call for A40 (which is what the 0w40 would be) then you can use any 0w40 or 5w40 that carries that approval. LM probably makes a couple different ones.

What does the manual recommend? If it recommends A40, I would use Mobil1 5w-50. Our local Porsche Indy, very well respected in the P car community, uses Motul.

I was never a fan of Liqui Moly...not for any concrete reason other than the number of additives they sell, reminds me a little too much of STP and Rislone... Again, this is my opinion and I am sure it is an adequate oil and I feel the same way about Amsoil which is also probably a good enough oil.
Yes, A40. To be honest, I'm ok with going with Motul as well since I've read a lot of great things about it. So same question with Motul. Which one is best for my use?
1612385827686.png

1612385870283.png

Mobil 1 makes great oils. Factory Fill in your vehicle and otherwise recommended across the brand and has proper approvals.
LiquiMoly is not exactly a fan favorite on this forum.
So, I'd have to see some evidence of it being better. Just because shops use it doesn't mean that much to me.

Yes, A40. To be honest, I'm ok with going with Motul as well since I've read a lot of great things about it. So same question with Motul. Which one is best for my use?
The one that has the proper approval required by the manufacturer.

Where have you read great things that would suggest it is better than any other brand that has the same approval?

The one that has the proper approval required by the manufacturer.

Where have you read great things that would suggest it is better than any other brand that has the same approval?

Haha from people who claim to be oil experts on other internet forums :)

Go to the Liquimoly website, there you can input the make/model/year of your car and Liquimoly will tell you which is the best oil for it.
Am I to infer that the "Turbo" is not OE and was added later?, if so then the Liquimoly recommendation will not work.

Go to the Liquimoly website, there you can input the make/model/year of your car and Liquimoly will tell you which is the best oil for it.
Am I to infer that the "Turbo" is not OE and was added later?, if so then the Liquimoly recommendation will not work.

For the 991.2 Generation (2016-2019) all Carreras* were turbocharged, even the base models

*Save for the GT3 variants

No, It's just that beginning in 2017, All of the Carrera models (Base, S, and GTS) which previously came with NA motors were upgraded to twin turbos. The 'Turbo' model has always incorporated turbos, but is a different and much more powerful motor. It confuses some people because now even the non-"Turbo" models are actually turbos. I hope that wasn't confusing.

Anything Porsche A40 rated, my pick would be M1 0W40 or Castrol Edge 0W40.

A few years ago the oil formulator Doug Hillary use to hang out here on BITOG. He was part of the team that developed Castrol racing oils for BMW, what eventually became Edge 10W60 to you and me. When a few years ago he went to the international endurance race at the Nurburgring, where he had access to the pits and many of the racing teams, he commented here on his return that most teams were using regular M1 0W40 in their race cars.

Back