Porsche 944 race car, VP Racing oil 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a 944 race car. The engine had new rings and rod bearings just prior to this race. Broken in with 10w30 dino. Oil filter was Mahle, air filter was K&N. This run was for approximately 3 hours in rainy conditions. Engine has 120,000 miles on it. Terry is on the case!

Iron 10
Copper 6
tin 6
lead 72
chromium 1
nickel 1
al 7
titanium 0
silver 0
calcium 1613
mg 12
zn 1243
phos 1541
barium 10
Moly 571
antimony 0
silicon 7
sodium 15
boron 1
potASSIUM 0
vanadium 0
vis 40-58.9 100-11.5
tan 1.80
flash 260
oxidation 22
water KF-ppm 4135
tbn 5.7
fuel 1.78
glycol .58
VI 194

Terry has done the analysis, his service and insight is terrific. I would recommend his expertise!
smile.gif

Could be the cleaning effect? This engine has 120,000 miles and it did have quite a bit of varnish inside when we opened it up to do the rod bearings and piston rings. Just a hunch.

3hr run? Looks horrible! Lots of bearing wear and oil sheared to a 30wt.

Engine might still be breaking in from refresh. And, 1st time with ester oil will do some scary cleaning on your engine.

For a race oil, I'd expect more.

Any more info? typical oil temps? engine rpm? oil PSI?

I would hope that it would look better after the 2nd run with the same oil. I would change this oil/filter now if you haven't already. How much VP do you have? Their website doesn't list their multiweight oils anymore.

I have 4 cases of it and will run it in both a 944 and 911 race cars this season, assuming the UOA's look good going forward. From what I understand, this oil is actually Torco SR-5...?

and it was run at north of 4500 RPM for the whole 3 hours...Oil temps of 250ish...

Along with new parts breaking in did you lose a head gasket? I ask becuase their is water and coolant in the sample. Water and Coolant do a real number on lubpricity(sp). I do not see any potassium so I am now woundering what coolant you are useing?

If this was just cleaning takeing place I would be suprised. I thinkthat most if not all of the wear metals came from the newly installed parts.

Ask Terry if you can disclouse anything of the suspected problem with out giveing away his method of determining the problem! Do not post anything though unless it is cleared with Terry first! I do not want to endanger his trade secrects or violate his trust! I am sure he can tell you what is ok to disclose to us! He is "Topshelf"!

Headgasket is fine, I'll be running this car and the 911 at the end of April and we'll do two more samples of this oil. I am just posting this as an FYI, can't share any Terry comments but I think he has it nailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back