Porcelain Light Socket

I am looking for an "industrial strength" porcelain light socket with the chain. I am tired of replacing the cheap-assed ones because the switch sticks or the chain breaks off inside. Never used to have this issue "earlier in life" it seems. Any brands or places that sell good ones?
Lightsocket.jpg

They make the adapters with the on-off chain if that would work for you. Not sure on long term use though.

How much service time do you get out of yours?

Are you the only one pulling on those chains? Some people don’t realize it only takes a gentle tug.

If this is installed on open framing I’ve seen a trick where a screw eye is placed in line with the pull opening along with a long and strong string. When the string is pulled the eye keeps the last part horizontal to the fixture and that is less strain on the part inside.

This may not work for you, but it's great in my application.

There is a long section of my shop with racks, 50' or so, wider than a hall, but you get the idea.

It opens up into another room, and also has an exit door.

It had porcelain sockets spaced evenly the entire length, some with chains and some without.

I switched the plain sockets over to motion sensing LED bulbs and left standard bulbs in the chain equipped on/off versions.

I now leave the main switch on all the time, the motion sensing bulbs come on and are enough light for at least 99% of what I do. If I need more light, or want the lights on 100% of the time, I can just turn on the chain equipped lights too.

My entire shop has at least some motion sensing lights in it, works great.

Another option might be to install a toggle switch on the wall near the light. I think that's the preferred way to do it now, you don't usually find pull-chain light sockets in newer houses (except maybe in the attic).

Im really not manhandling these pull chains. I've been around them all my life at one point or another, and never had the issues I've had lately. They are attic lights, two of them, and both have broken with relatively easy pulls. As A kind I used to yank on them pretty good and never had an issue. Now, I got to use the 'dainty fingers" and they still snap. Yes, I've already thought about running a wire in teh wall down to the garage and installing a switch, but I need something good now until that happens.

Back