Popped Up Utility Access Cover in driveway

Actually, it is the driveway which must have sunk by an inch but the effect is that the 6inch diameter yellow access (natural gas?) cover now bangs the snowthrower. Before repaving the driveway, is there some contraption sold which can go around the access cover and has tapered around and made up of sturdy roofing material?

I hope you guys understand what I am talking about.

You could probably make a donut out of plywood, use 1/4 inch and step it up.

You'll still hit it with the snowblower but it'll be a softer hit.

In my front yard (grass area), water and gas companies have those pipes for shutting off utility 'before' the house.
They are all metal.
I had the gas co. come over one time to 'lower' it (to clear lawn-mower blade).
I believe all he did was loosen a bolt and slide it down. Today, I would do it myself.

There has to be some way of adjusting up/down or it would be a nightmare for utility co. and homeowners.

If it’s an adjustable riser you may be able to change the height with the driveway torn up before re-paving. I don’t think you can lower the height if it was paved after install without tearing up the pavement.

Given it is painted yellow, I think it belongs to gas company. May be I should just give them a call to see if they will come out and adjust it.

I was hoping Amazon/HomeDept to sell such a donut but if the adjusting is possible, then I presume nobody needs to purchase such a contraption.

In all likelihood, you driveway slab has settled and the utility cover has not.
Thus the thing looks like it's sticking up.
You can have the slab leveled in which they pump polymer under the slab and raise it up. Tons of youtube videos out there. The process actually works quite well.

Good luck!

I don't know if you've had much freezing weather in the NorthEast, but frozen ground could cause the cap to hoove up. Sounds like you had snow at least. I'd wait till spring thaw and see what happens.

A picture would be helpful
1641747816135.jpg

Gas company guy came same day and flattened it down! I should have listened to you guys and called them before.

Back