POPE IS DEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:07:55 EST
VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II, the leader of the world's 1.1 billion Roman Catholics, died Saturday at the age of 84.
The Pope passed away at his apartment in the Vatican as tens of thousands of people gathered outside in St. Peter's Square to pray for him.

Vatican officials earlier said his breathing became shallow, his kidneys had stopped functioning and his blood pressure plummeted because of septic shock linked to a urinary tract infection.

By the time you are reading this, there will be more info than you will want to have access to.
Sorry for violating or bending the "no religion" rules.

Just trying to help
Rob

He was one of a few religious leaders that I have the utmost respect for. Actually, he was one of a few human beings that top my list of champions of mankind.
frown.gif
smile.gif
Bitter sweet passing of a truely great man.

I would hope I speak for most of our members, regardless of their beliefs, Rob, there is no reason for you to apologize...it was thoughtful of you to do so, but as far as I am concerned...not required. Compassion and courage don't seem to be in ample supply today. Here's to the passing of one of the too-precious-few GREAT men in our world.

It wouldn't surprise me if God put John Paul II here on this Earth during the later part of the 20th century. Seems no man could have done more for freedom/human rights with such humility and grace, when such a man was truely needed.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
It wouldn't surprise me if God put John Paul II here on this Earth during the later part of the 20th century. Seems no man could have done more for freedom/human rights with such humility and grace, when such a man was truely needed.

Very well said, thanks!

Whimsey

I remember waiting in the rain in Boston in 1979 to see him. I hadn't thought of it much since but now I'm glad I did. As per the previous posts I think history will look at him kindly.

I would expect that he will be known as Pope John Paul the Great. And a more appropriate title I cannot fathom. Wonderful man. He and President Ronald Reagan share equal billing for the demise of Soviet communism. But what I always respected was his unbending moral courage in this relativistic age. I also appreciated the importance he placed upon children and youth.

I do not envy his successor the least bit.

John.

I had a lot of respect for this pope.I did not agree with all of his positions (personally I feel that priests should be allowed to marry and I think women sould be allowed to be priests) but I think he as a man of tremendous integrity.This man was very intelligent-he could speak at least 16 languages and maybe more-very few people can do something like that. Most Americans for example speak only English or English and Spanish. Even most Europeans probably speak only three or four languages. It was surprising how well this pope related to young people even with his conservative positions. And if you did not agree with his positions he was firm and committed o what he believed in.

I think the Catholic Church will have a ery hard time replacing this pope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back