Poor sender location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just added a tranny temp guage to my truck. I wanted to locate the sender in the pan, however I can't seem to find the right fittings. So I built a brass T with barbed ends and cut into the cooler lines. The only place I felt comfortable cutting the lines was where the cooler lines go into the radiator. So I secured it there. the fluid path goes as follows: tranny > guage sender > radiator cooler > auxillary cooler > tranny.

My problem is that the guage needle barely reads anything. After a spirited drive (20 -30 min) in town with many accelerations and plenty of idling in gear, the needle barely reads 100 degress F which is the very lowest increment. I'm thinking that tapping the cooler lines was a waste of time, because the fluid is being cooled as is goes throught the 5 or so feet of cooler line before it hits the sender. Either that or I accidentally cut the wrong line and I'm going backwards.

My question for you guys is, where can I get a sending unit or adapter that fits in a transmission pan? I think this with give a better idea how hot the entire tansmission is.

I feel you may have got the wrong line. I just installed one in my 2004 Dodge Ram. I used an Autometer gauge as well as their "temp manifold" that splices into the tranny line, all bought from Jegs online. I read about 130-150 degrees most of the time.

I wish I saw that.

I figured out what was wrong. My brass T contraption needed to be grounded. I'm getting normal temps now, 130 - 150 degrees on cool days and up to 180 degrees on 90+ days in city traffic.

So you saw that manifold thing in the Jegs catalog. I'll check this out today. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back