Pontiac vibe vs matrix OCI 6 months ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I just read that the Toyota matrix with the identical engine to our Vibe allows 5k or 6 months intervals.

The Vibes manual states 5k or 3 months! That's insane.

Is there any reason I can't run a conventional oil to 6 months and roughly 3k? That's what I'd put on it in that time. Short trips mainly, with two highway romps weekly.

Thanks.

I use M1 0-20 and do 10K OCIs. Sometimes that takes up to 8-10 months for the Focus. No problem at all.

If you're out of warranty there is no reason to put a time limit on the oil. Go by miles only unless you have excessive idle time. One year should be no problem.

Thanks guys.

It just seems ridiculous to dump oil at 3 months anymore. Especially considering I'd only have 1500 miles on it roughly.

nope. no reason at all you can't. GM just Put 3k in there to sell more Oil Changes for their dealers. (IMO)

in fact... let me dig a bit...

here are the 2 UOA's I've had Done on my Buddy's Vibe.
From March of 2012, back when the vibe was a pizza wagon, he did nearly 7k mi(City), in not quite 4 Months. (avg'd 70-100mi a day Delivering for Papa Johns)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2587486

and then This past spring, post Polar Vortex, with a P1 that i found a tear in.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3356748/

I've Done One Oil Change since then, (our schedules don't often sync up) around the end of August, that will be in until spring. Put in the oil and Filter Listed Below.(see Sig) I also @ THat Time replaced the K&N air Filter, with a Standard Wix paper unit.

in Doing So, Found that 1) the Air box was Not latched (one latch not engaged at all), and 2) a vacuum, or PCV (not sure which) line Running to the Clean side was disconnected, leaving a hole to suck in ambient air after the filter.

needless to say I reconnected the Line, and made sure the Lid was seated and latched Properly.

@ Ryan2022 -
Currently my wife short trips her Vibe (1ZZFE) a lot - under 5 miles each trip - roughly 5-6 daily . Been running 4-5k OCI sometimes taking up to 6-8 months to accumulate with regular dino with no ill effects.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Thanks guys.

It just seems ridiculous to dump oil at 3 months anymore. Especially considering I'd only have 1500 miles on it roughly.

It was GMs way of being able to weasel out of potential warranty claims if they wanted to. (and sell more oil changes..)

The 1zzfe is easy on oil. Why not run a quality 0w20 syn and run it out a full year? Might get some extra cold start protection. Either way you go..it will be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back