Pontiac Vibe Lube Stop Quick ATF Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Either call or go by the lube shop and ask what fluid they used. I would want to know.

There's about a 1% chance the kid who changed it will remember what he put in it.

All he has to do is look on the label on the outside of the tank the ATF is in. If he can't read that then there is a 99% chance he should not be working there.

Well I called the place, and they said what I suspected. They use Dexron-III on everything, but add an additive that is meant to convert the fluid to the proper type. They have additives for Toyota, Honda, etc. Having seen these used before, Lube Stop does not use the solvent, they just use the machine to exchange the fluid. They also have you start the car, using the transmission pump to pump the fluid in the normal direction. Therefore the horror stories about backflushing and loosening crud are bunk. My friend has used NTB, and they used the solvent first then new fluid. What that did was eat away his old brittle transmission cooler lines and cause them to drip a little. Therefore, I wouldn't use a solvent system, just a simple fluid flush.

Originally Posted By: JMHC
Well I called the place, and they said what I suspected. They use Dexron-III on everything, but add an additive that is meant to convert the fluid to the proper type. They have additives for Toyota, Honda, etc. Having seen these used before, Lube Stop does not use the solvent, they just use the machine to exchange the fluid. They also have you start the car, using the transmission pump to pump the fluid in the normal direction. Therefore the horror stories about backflushing and loosening crud are bunk. My friend has used NTB, and they used the solvent first then new fluid. What that did was eat away his old brittle transmission cooler lines and cause them to drip a little. Therefore, I wouldn't use a solvent system, just a simple fluid flush.

Wonder if they ran the car through the gears, which is needed to ensure all the old ATF is out from all the paths.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Since it's a "Pontiac", I bet the quick lube put Dexron in it.
smirk2.gif

i bet your right!

Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline all make Multi-Vehicle ATFs that "meet" T-IV specs. So they could have put in Multi-Vehicle ATF. But I highly doubt a quick lube would carry T-IV as well.

If you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
All he has to do is look on the label on the outside of the tank the ATF is in. If he can't read that then there is a 99% chance he should not be working there.

I'm guessing about 80% of quick lube employees fall into the 99%.

Awhile ago before the flush machines, they would just suck the ATF via the dispstick and refill adding a conditioner. They never explained that they only change 1/3 of the ATF and that there was a filter (in most cases) that they did not change.

My Dad has a 2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD with the 4 speed AT. He has close to 70K miles and never changed the ATF. He started noticing it was shifting poorly and was not very responsive.

My friend is complaining about this exact same thing with her Corolla-- it has 56k on the original T-IV fluid. While I was unable to reproduce the lack of responsiveness that she was complaining about, the shifts were a bit on the clunky side. Now that you mention it, perhaps the lack of responsiveness does exist?

Anyway, the Dex/Merc and an additive combination may work OK, but I doubt it's suitable for extended drains. 30k at best.

these trans have trans plugs. I would just do a drain and fill every 20k miles. Vibe trans shifts great.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
My Dad has a 2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD with the 4 speed AT. He has close to 70K miles and never changed the ATF. He started noticing it was shifting poorly and was not very responsive.

My friend is complaining about this exact same thing with her Corolla-- it has 56k on the original T-IV fluid. While I was unable to reproduce the lack of responsiveness that she was complaining about, the shifts were a bit on the clunky side. Now that you mention it, perhaps the lack of responsiveness does exist?

Anyway, the Dex/Merc and an additive combination may work OK, but I doubt it's suitable for extended drains. 30k at best.

I would trust Amsoil or M1 to have a universal ATF a whole lot more than a lube guy at Lube Stop making one on the fly with Dex III and and additive (how many ounces of the additive???).

Originally Posted By: Donald

Wonder if they ran the car through the gears, which is needed to ensure all the old ATF is out from all the paths.

Not a good idea to run the tranny through the gears while flushing it. If it's a dodge, the transmission lines won't flow unless it's in neutral. Been there, done that. The gears are ran through after the flush, to ensure tranny fluid is completely circulated. Then we can get an accurate level on the dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back