pontiac vibe ($11,500) or saturn astra ($10,500)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a letter from my GM card and they upped the limits that you can use on Saturns and Pontiacs. I can now take and additional
$5,000 of the dealers best deal by using my GM card points.

So I am looking at a new 09 Ponitac Vibe base with automatic, after
all the rebates and GM points, my cost is $11,500

Also looking at an 08 new holdover Saturn Astra base model, either 2 or 4 doors with automatic and sunroof for $10,500. That is my price after the rebates and GM card points.

So what do you guys think. I think the Vibe will hold it's value, but the astra was nice with the sunroof.

That's an awesome price for Toyota quality (Vibe)!
shocked2.gif

I was just speaking based on the old version experience as a friend of the family has one and loves it! It's very reliable.

What has changed with the new one?

Wow...what a deal!!! Lucky dog....

Anyway, two very different cars, feel-wise and everything. Both will be orphans in no time. At least with the Vibe, you'll be able to get most important parts from a Toyota dealer/supplier. Who knows with the Opel/Vauxhall?

Still, I like the Astra far more than the Vibe. More character, more personality, a driver's car and all that. Not sure I'd buy a car from a brand that won't be around to support me, though.

Hard call to make, for sure.

Didn't the government say they would stand behind the warranties?

Also aftermarket parts makers will make parts because this is their bread/butter so there is no worries, so long as the warranty is covered in trust or by the Government.

thumbsup2.gif

Definitely the Vibe. The Astra has a timing belt and requires an incredible amount of other maintenance as well.

The new Vibe is a fairly crude car, assuming that its interior is similar to the Matrix. The new 1.8L is fairly refined, but it's slow and if you drive on steep windy roads, you need to drive in D3.

That's a toss-up for sure! I like both and wanted to consider both when I bought my Fit. But the same dealer sells both in my town and really left us a bit frosty when we were cross-shopping Yukons vs. our Odyssey.

I'd have to echo the sentiments on the Toyota internals in the Vibe. I had always liked the Vibe better than the Matrix until the current models. I don't like the Vibe less, I just sorta like this model of the Matrix a lot more.

The Astra is also a fine car, IMHO. I've heard much more praise of the Astra's road handling than I have the Vibe/Matrix. Looks like fuel economy wise, the base Vibe auto and the Astra 4 door auto are only 1 mpg apart, so it's a fair match there.

Just go drive them both and see what you like!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: The Critic
and requires an incredible amount of other maintenance as well.

Such as...?

Quote:

The Saturn ASTRA has some specific maintenance items and frequencies that are not typical, such as the items below. The values shown are the maximum intervals when these should be performed. These maintenance items are tied to the Saturn ASTRA's Oil Life Monitor system and are listed in the ASTRA Limited Warranty, Maintenance and Owner Assistance Information booklet under Additional Required Services.

This section is typical of other GM products with Oil Life Monitor Systems and indicates that these services should be performed at the first maintenance service (I or II) after the indicated miles shown in the Additional Required Services section.

The Saturn ASTRA owner will be notified when this maintenance service should performed (after the indicated miles) by the InSP indicator which will display on the Saturn ASTRA Instrument Cluster. This indicator will come on at or before the maximum values shown for each of the maintenance items below.

ASTRA Maintenance Intervals

Timing Belt and Tensioner

Replacement at 100,000 miles / 160,000 Kilometers or 10 years

Spark Plugs

Replacement at 35,000 miles / 56,000 Kilometers

Solid Lifter Adjustment

Adjustment at 90,000 miles / 145,000 Kilometers or 10 years

Accessory Drive Belt

Inspect every 36,000 miles / 58,000 Kilometers or two years

Forgot where I got that from, but it was probably some GM service publication.

Anyway, I would NEVER purchase a car that will be discontinued. In addition, the Saturn brand is dead and the Astra is a very low volume car, so parts availability is likely to be come an issue in the future.

Timing Belt and Tensioner

Replacement at 100,000 miles / 160,000 Kilometers or 10 years

Spark Plugs

Replacement at 35,000 miles / 56,000 Kilometers

Solid Lifter Adjustment

Adjustment at 90,000 miles / 145,000 Kilometers or 10 years

Accessory Drive Belt

Inspect every 36,000 miles / 58,000 Kilometers or two years

You call that "incredible amount of maintenance"?
LOL.gif

Quote:
Astra is a very low volume car, so parts availability is likely to be come an issue in the future.

Worldwide, this car is produced in rather large quantities.

What's this I hear about Penske attempting to buy Saturn?

You call that "incredible amount of maintenance"?
LOL.gif

Umm, yes?

Performing a valve adjustment on a vehicle with solid lifters is quite labor intensive.

While you may be used to the maintenance of a BMW, most cars in the price range of the Astra do not require the same amount of maintenance.

For example, a Chevy Cobalt will only need a set of spark plugs every 100k. It will not need a valve adjustment or a timing belt job.

Quote:
Astra is a very low volume car, so parts availability is likely to become an issue in the future.

Worldwide, this car is produced in rather large quantities.

What's this I hear about Penske attempting to buy Saturn?

Yeah, BMW and VW are popular brands worldwide, but that doesn't mean that parts availability isn't an issue in the US.

Not sure on the Penske and Saturn thing.

Astra. Hands down. Great city runner.

My local GM dealer are seeing "issues" with these new Vibes....

the VIBE . Would think a CHEVY Prizm to be on the horizon after the PONTIAC VIBE is gone . So , shouldn't be an issue for warranty . Last , VIBE ( Corolla 1.8 ltr. , CAMRY 2.4 ltr. ) very low maintenance . Timing chain a plus . Then 100,000 miles for tuneup ( spark plugs ) , tranny fluid , and coolant . Last , is the mileage you'll benefit from as gas prices rise . $85 a barrel is now forecasted for end of year .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ross
Got a letter from my GM card and they upped the limits that you can use on Saturns and Pontiacs. I can now take and additional
$5,000 of the dealers best deal by using my GM card points.

how did you get a letter from GM card $5000 off the dealers best deal? Plus on a Saturn? I'm not allowed to use my earnings on Saturn. I got a letter last week that my GM card earnings was doubled to $3k off. I've had the card for 10 years under the "old" rules

Last edited:

Yeah, BMW and VW are popular brands worldwide, but that doesn't mean that parts availability isn't an issue in the US.

Are you saying BMW and VW parts availability is an issue in the US? Never noticed it, I guess.

Are you saying BMW and VW parts availability is an issue in the US? Never noticed it, I guess.

It is difficult to obtain quality replacement parts for BMWs from the usual sources (i.e. AutoZone).

STill the Astra.....

What about saving even more and getting a Cobalt/G5? You could a really well loaded one....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back