Pontiac OHC-6 engines

In the mid 1960s there was a lot of excitement about Pontiac's new Single Overhead Cam, OHC-6 engines. They were probably the standard engines in the Tempest and Firebird at the time. But I only ever saw one Firebird with OHC-6 trim on the hood.

That engine caused a lot of excitement as it seemed as though Detroit had turned a corner on building exciting engines. But that was followed by talk of the engines self destructing when they enthusiastically over-revved.

Does anyone have experience (positive or negative) with that engine?

I had a friend that had a 1st gen Firebird with the OHC 6. I don't remember her having trouble, but that was a loooong time ago.
But good post; I will keep up with it.

I recall that they leaked engine oil seriously at the main front plate that covered a lot AND served as anchors for the front engine mounts...but maybe that's just my poor memory.

In the late 70's I almost bought a Firebird with that engine. Someone beat me to it but the seller had a friend with a 68 GTO for sale. Wanted it gone pronto, his ask was cheap. Couldn't get there fast enough to pick it up. Got insanely lucky on that one.

A friend let me drive his back in the mid-90's. I was surprised at how peppy is was..... for a 6 cyl.

There is one in a wrecked and shot up car a mile or so in the woods behind our house. Years ago, I was hiking and came across it. I was curious as to the obviously 60's domestic w/ this aluminum OHC mill. At first I thought someone had done a swap, but then I researched what I had found. It is sadly returning to the earth on an abandoned farm road on state land...

There is one in a wrecked and shot up car a mile or so in the woods behind our house. Years ago, I was hiking and came across it. I was curious as to the obviously 60's domestic w/ this aluminum OHC mill. At first I thought someone had done a swap, but then I researched what I had found. It is sadly returning to the earth on an abandoned farm road on state land...
As far as I know only the valve cover was aluminum, it had a cast iron block and head.

Someone dumped one on my dirt road many years ago. I checked it out before I recycled it. Had a 4bbl intake and a timing belt.
I think they all had a timing belt. But it sounds like that was a high performance version, with the 4bbl.

It's a shame Pontiac didn't pursue the OHC idea. Kind of like the Corvair - the same basic set up as a Porsche 911 but also not followed up. But I suppose that was the era of cheap gas and big V8s.

GM had all sorts of cool engines back then inc a small 215cu all aluminum V8 that they sold off and was a mainstay for Rover for many years.
GM has been shooting itself in the backside for decades, they never learn.

I almost bought one of those Buicks but it sold just before I got there. I probably didn't have enough $$ anyways.
But the car, that beautiful pale blue color, was clean... I still remember seeing it with the For Sale sign...

I've seen a few at shows. I think I saw one back in Jan when I was down at Mecum in Florida.
Jeep/Kaiser also had the Tornado OHC six which came out in 1962.

618373-1000-0.jpg

The Pontiac SOHC inline 6 was a unique engine that had many features that where ahead of it's competitors like the SOHC valve train, the (limited) use of aluminium throughout the engine, and an timing belt. Compared to the Chevy straight 6 that it was based on, it would have been very modern. Unfortunately there wasn't really a market for a premium straight 6, as the domestic 6 cylinder engines of the day where all base model economy engines so the Pontiac SOHC 6 had a very short run.

Just like the 4 cylinder engines that preceded it in the compact Pontiacs and which were also available in high compression and 4 bbl carb versions, the demand just wasn't there for a six when a V8 didn't cost much more.

IIRC the OHC 6 didn`t get good press in the car mags which is always a kiss of death. Knew of one which the owner said he wasn`t a fan and saw no reason to buy another.

My older brother had a 1967 Firebird with that engine and three speed manual on the floor. It was a convertible, gold with a black top. Very sharp car. As a somewhat wild teenager, he blew it up by over-revving it. He replaced the engine with a Chevy 350 which should have been better, but he said it never ran as well as when it had the OHC-6. He eventually sold it and bought a new Chevy Vega. Too bad. Watching shows like Mecum Auto Auctions he wishes he still had it today.

Back