Pontiac Montana fuel filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Pontiac Montana, 103,xxx miles

I went to change the fuel filter today just because it's never been done, and with over 100K miles it seems like it should be done.

The filter has quick disconnect clips - the kind you squeeze with your hand, no tool needed. But the clips stay on the old filter, and the new filter (Wix) didn't come with clips. Didn't know what to do about that, so I re-connected the old filter and changed the coolant instead.
55.gif

The FSM makes no mention of removing the clips from the old filter. Is it possible to do that without breaking them? Or should I buy new clips before trying again? Never had anything with connectors like this - always banjo bolts or hose clamps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
If no new clips you can reuse the old ones. It's not a big deal.

Yep, just pry the little buggers off and stick them on the new filter.

Even half mangled those clips can be reused. An o-ring keeps the fuel in.

Thanks guys, got it done!

I had assumed that the clips stayed with the line side of the connector. Once I got the old filter out from under the van and into the sunlight, took off the safety goggles and put on my reading glasses, it was obvious how to get the clips off (dang presbyopia). A little pry with a small screwdriver to help the tabs over the ridge on the fitting, and off they came!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back