Pontiac G8 GT transmission deep pan upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a recent thread I mentioned that I planned on doing the Camaro deep transmission pan upgrade to my '09 Pontiac G8 GT. Well I finally received my CAM2 Dexron VI ATF order to complete the items I needed for the job so I did the upgrade a couple days ago.

I won't bore you with procedural details but here's the stock, low-profile pan than comes on the G8 with the 6L80E transmission (pic taken after the upgrade):

t5r7uf.jpg

For those unfamiliar with this application, there is no transmission dipstick so what looks like a drain plug at the rear of the pan is used to obtain the correct fluid level in the transmission; there's a fill plug on the passenger side of the case. I refilled the transmission per the procedure (I threw in a few ounces of Lubegard red while I was at it) and took the car out for a shake down run - no leaks, no CELs, no difference in shift quality. The pan increases fluid capacity a bit, it was an opportunity to an ATF d&f and the filter has a larger opening (it's referred to as the "big mouth" filter on some message boards) so there's less chance of fluid starvation under hard acceleration. I was so anxious to do the upgrade that I didn't take a bunch of pictures but I did take a pic of the stock pan on the ground under the upgrade pan so you can see the diffference between the two. You can see where the deep pan steps down for additional fluid capacity.

rmmzxs.jpg

It's about flush with the exhaust so there is little impact to ground clearance. I'm happy with how it came out and I completed my list of upgrades on the car.

Thanks for reading my post.

Yeah, the G8 was a bit small or it would have ended up in my driveway. They were nearly giving them away here just prior to Poncho leaving the market. Very nice driver.

Nice trans mod, never heard of a 6L80E having fluid starvation here, but it sounds like he nailed it!

Looks good man.

The Caprice has a huge pan. I am wondering if it is different for police duty.

You wouldn't happen to want to bore me with some of the more technical aspects like the drain and fill procedure would you?

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Looks good man.

The Caprice has a huge pan. I am wondering if it is different for police duty.

You wouldn't happen to want to bore me with some of the more technical aspects like the drain and fill procedure would you?

Sure, check your PMs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back