Pontiac done on mon.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The prices may actually go up now if people start to think of them as collector items.

Hasn't happened with Oldsmobiles and Plymouths so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The prices may actually go up now if people start to think of them as collector items.

You mean like junkyards?
LOL.gif

What will happen to the Vibe? Any chance toyota will absorb it or just make the Matrix?

Originally Posted By: frank83
What will happen to the Vibe? Any chance toyota will absorb it or just make the Matrix?

If you watch the press conference, Henderson said that the VIBE may be produced through 2010 but GM plans to work with Toyota in regards to NUMMI.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: Shagger
ZOMBIES?!?! HOLY SMOKES, I better stock up on wooden stakes and silver bullets!

That's for vampires and werewolves. Salt drives zombies away; feed 'em anything with salt and they'll shamble away post-haste.

thumbsup2.gif
I always carry a crossbow pistol with an aromatic cedar bolt and a squirt gun filled with salt water.
27.gif
Best to use the pickling salt, not the iodized salt.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Geo Prism-> Chevy Prism
Pontiac Vibe -> Chevy Vibe

Sounds good to me!

Or how about this:

GM could treat the Vibe like Toyota treats the Matrix. Whenever Toyota releases sales figures, they never list the Matrix ( Toyota Sales, March 2009). The Matrix is always included in the Corolla's total sales numbers. Toyota treats the Matrix like a Corolla "station wagon".

So now that Chevrolet will soon replace the Cobalt sedan/coupe with the Cruze sedan/coupe, why not re-introduce the Vibe as maybe a Cruze "sport wagon"?

I think there is going to be a big problem with GM dropping Pontiac, people are going to not buy any GM cars because they will think that whatever brand of GM car they buy, they might go under. I drove buy a Chevrolet Dealership and the lot was packed with new cars and nobody was in the showroom.

The joke in my area is if you need to go someplace in the afternoon for a nap, visit any GM Dealerships Showrooms.

I am running into people in there 60's and 70's who are now driving foreign cars, they told me they will never buy American again. The younger crowd who are in there late teens and early 20's are driving foreign cars, even though I do see a few driving Ford's.

Every move that GM is making is upsetting the american public, they should have gone into bankruptcy back in December, they will eventually have to go into bankruptcy. Used car sales of GM's are doing better than new car sales. Does anyone know how the new car sales are doing.

Why did GM kill Pontiac and not Buick?

Profit per vehicle, and to a lesser extent, quality rankings.

WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too many Pontiacs in the past 10 years have been fleet and rental sales. Nearly every last year model of the Grand Prix went to the fleets, as was the case with the last year of the last generation Taurus.

Too many Grand Am's were fleet cars as well. 5 years ago, just about every other rental car sitting at the airport began with the word "Grand" (Am or Prix.... take your choice).

That killed profits, and it killed residual values as well.

Buick has never seen that problem to the same extent. Plus, Buick has doing very well with its quality rankings for the past several years.

I remember stopping at a Pontiac-Buick Dealership 3 years ago that is now closed, the salesman was a nice guy and I stopped in a few times to talk and go for a ride in the Buick's.

He told me that after 11 months he was leaving because he only sold 6 new cars.

My neighbor's son was a salesman at a Pontiac dealership and he told me that if he worked 40 hours at any reatail job, he would be making the same amount of money as he did working 70 hours trying to sell Pontiacs.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
My neighbor's son was a salesman at a Pontiac dealership and he told me that if he worked 40 hours at any reatail job, he would be making the same amount of money as he did working 70 hours trying to sell Pontiacs.

It's only because they are butt-ugly. They have been coasting on their mid-1990s look for too long. And when they did a refresh with the g5 g6 line, it was even worse.

I'm looking for a cheap bargin basement economy car. I'll glady take one of the tens of thousands of Pontiac G3's (Aveo clone) that are sitting collecting dust on port lots. PM me.

The Vibe is a decent daily transporation machine, nothing special about it, except that it is one of the only hatchback GM offers in the domestic market. Boring and not cheap either, just like the Toyota Matrix sister car

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: swalve
It's only because they are butt-ugly. They have been coasting on their mid-1990s look for too long. And when they did a refresh with the g5 g6 line, it was even worse.

IMO, the G6 and G8 are both very attractive cars.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Originally Posted By: swalve

Ditto. I'll take a G8 over a Camry any day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INMY01TA
Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Ditto. I'll take a G8 over a Camry any day.

IMO, the Camry is a visual atrocity, not sure they've ever made one I've found attractive. The loaded models in a dark color with the subtle chrome trim are bearable, but thats about it.

Honda has had a few decent Accords over the years, I was fond of the looks of the 2000-era Coupe (with the triangular taillights), and the new sedan is also rather attractive, if understated. I hated the previous generation sedan and coupe, though, and I'm no fan of the current coupe.

There are a few other handsome midsize cars out there too, but lately everything has looked so horribly generic. I'll definitely give credit to Honda for moving away from the amorphous blob shape with the Accord. I was disappointed when Chevy released the new Impala and it looked so dull compared to the early 2000 design, which I really liked...the new one just blends in with all the other japorean cars. I wouldn't be at all disappointed if they moved the G8 over to the Chevy lineup and called it the Caprice or the Lumina or something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back