Polyurethane bushing grease

I know this has been discussed, and there have been lots of different answers. But here we go!

I'm installing some new leaf springs and upper control arms, the leaf springs have poly bushings, the UCAs have synthetic elastomer bushings. Both have grease zerks to grease when needed.

I currently have Schaeffers 238 NGLI 2 in my grease gun, it's an aluminum complex. Can I use this? I've read conflicting views on this, and most recommend lithium based grease, but a few say aluminum is better for water washout and whatnot. I'd rather not buy another grease gun specific for this since the grease I currently have works for all my applications. So can I use this grease safely for both types of bushings? Or should I bite the bullet and get another grease gun?

The UCAs (synthetic elastomer) recommend a lithium based grease with moly. If I have to go that route, and suggestions on a good off the shelf grease?

Silicone paste with PTFE is recommended most often. I'd get a 2nd grease gun to use in cartridge packaging, as silicone grease is very handy for multiple uses. One cartridge example is Super Lube 92150.

Yes you can use the aluminum complex, but I expect you'll need to re-grease more often.

1641512399531.jpg

SuperLube has long been the widely accepted "best" but others have proven to work just fine also.

If you have grease zerks you are fine, you will have to do it a little more often though as said above. Without them I'd go with something like the Prothane or a specifically designed grease for this. On our sway bars we discovered that the finish of the part contacting the bushing matters too, so we use a hammertone finish and the little pockets and crevices hold the grease longer too.

I've tried a few different greases on teh poly swaybar bushings on my 1996 Mustang. By far the best, as in longest lasting, that i've found in Jet-Lube Silicone Compound NLGI 3 part number 73550 ( link to mfg website ). It does (or at least used to) come in 14oz cartidges which were readily available on amazon and others.

When I installed Belltech stabilizers on the M-van, the installation kit for the front bar came with this super tacky, slimy grease to put on the poly bushings.

The things still squeak but not as bad as if they were dry. I don't hear them unless I roll down the window.

Frequency of service will go further than what you use. Finding a grease with the best wash out will be ideal but just use whatever you have. Unless aluminum based grease will attack the poly I wouldn’t worry about it

Frequency of service will go further than what you use. Finding a grease with the best wash out will be ideal but just use whatever you have. Unless aluminum based grease will attack the poly I wouldn’t worry about it

Not completely true. Back when my Mustang was still a daily driver I would have to regrease the poly after almost any rain storm that I drove through when I used super-lube. Switching to the Jet-lube silicone NLGI 3 and it would last months without a squeak.

Back