Poly Alpha Olefins and Diesel Fuel

Need your advice, one of my friends argue with me that PAO will not compatible with diesel fuel, maybe he thought about high sulfur content or diesel fuel character that will simply destroy any PAO content, is that true? If so, why Mobil and any other manufacturer provide fully synthetic diesel motor oil?

In Canada, Esso XD3 was a diesel motor oil and was primarily PAO and was highly regarded (early 2000s) as one of the best long drain oils available. Lots of ambiguous interpretations of why you have written; IDK.
Indeee, my mind is hasty, AFAIK PAO's are incredibly stable and has strong molecules structure unlike Esters. But I need more backup to explain it to my friend, with more technical insights about it.

since the advent of highly refined group III CRUDE oils being legally advertised as "synthetic" thats mostly what you get these days. PAO as well as Esters are minimally added if needed to meet a spec. there are REAL synthetics that are costlier + use mostly PAO + Ester base oils but are less common due to cost

They are both hydrocarbon chains albeit the PAO has a very regular branched structure while diesel fuel is more mixture of straight chain, branched and cyclic hydrocarbons. There is absolutely no reason chemically why one would interact with the other in a chemical fashion. One woujld be infinitely soluble in the other. Just another piece of misinformation about synthetic oils.

since the advent of highly refined group III CRUDE oils being legally advertised as "synthetic" thats mostly what you get these days. PAO as well as Esters are minimally added if needed to meet a spec. there are REAL synthetics that are costlier + use mostly PAO + Ester base oils but are less common due to cost
What does that have to do with the question?

They are both hydrocarbon chains albeit the PAO has a very regular branched structure while diesel fuel is more mixture of straight chain, branched and cyclic hydrocarbons. There is absolutely no reason chemically why one would interact with the other in a chemical fashion. One woujld be infinitely soluble in the other. Just another piece of misinformation about synthetic oils.
In that case, diesel fuel will not degrade full synthetic lubricants and vice versa, right? I mean at initial engine run, pardon my English. Lubricants deteroriate time after time due to oxidation and engine process.

No, diesel will not do anything to a synthetic lube that it would not do to a regular non-syn lube. Perfectly OK to run in a diesel engine. When I had two VW diesel cars, ran syn in them all the time.

No, diesel will not do anything to a synthetic lube that it would not do to a regular non-syn lube. Perfectly OK to run in a diesel engine. When I had two VW diesel cars, ran syn in them all the time.
thank you for the insights

Horse Hockey! to quote an icon. 348k miles on a '92 Mercedes 300D using nothing but Amsoil with 10k mile OIC (twice the manual OIC). Never had an engine problem, never drank oil. PAO is fine in a diesel engine.

No, this isn't an Amsoil add. relax. I am using Castrol in the current one.

Back