Poll: Who doesn't change their vehicle's oil themself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us here change our own oil, but I'm just curious as to how many BITOGers we have that don't change their own. Some people live in apartments, condos, etc., where maintenance is prohibited.

If you don't change your own oil, please check in. Who does it for you, & what type of oil, oil filter, & oil change interval are you using?

I don't change my oil. The dealership does it for me. I use MC 5W-20 in my cars with MC filters, and Schaeffers 9000 in my truck with MC filter.

I run 5-6K OCI.

Lately I have been taking my van to a Jiffy Pop where the guys seem to be cool enough.

I take my own oil and filter, they do nothing but turn the drain plug and the filter. I watch the whole time and even pour in the oil. Taking a UOA kit for them to fill really 'wows' them which is why I think they are cool enough to me allowing me to watch over them and talk oil for 5 minutes.

BTW: I take the van in after a nice long run ... that 5W-20 shoots out of there real hot and real fast, it flows like water, which is another reason I have not done the last few as the 05 Odyssey has an easy to reach oil filter that however, always makes a mess in spinning off.

I don't because my car is under Extended Warranty. I buy the synth oil & Nissan filter and pay my Mech to put it in so I get a receipt.
I do a 10,000km OCI.

I do my own in the summer at my parents place. My condo doesn't approve, not that I blame them. But in the winter I head over to a local quick lube place I've used for many years. I bring my own oil and filter in.

Sometimes I bring in 2 different grades of oil to mix, just to see the stunned look on their faces.

I change my own oil.

I did the Quicky Lube thing for a year or two long ago and it got very pricey just for 5 quarts of 10W30 and a filter. And the striped drain plug thing and then dip stick found laying on top of the motor bothered me some. So I fired them and started doing it myself again.

Nowadays I have a big nice shop to work in and enjoy pulling one of the family vehicles in to play with it.

I change my own. However there have been a few times when i couldn't and/or didn't want to cause of bad weather and during those times I've gone to the dealership or a local Shell Rapid-Lube. To be honest, the guys at the rapid-lube seem to do an equaly good job, albeit at a higher price.

I'll never forget the last time i had my tranny flushed at the dealer. The tech couldnt find the drain hoses and had to get another guy to come help him. The two of them starting working on it and before i knew it they were both covered with tranny fluid. They seemed to be able to get it all back together ok, but considering this was the dealership, it left me with less than a positve feeling about their ability.

Both of my Honda's go to the Honda dealer. For warranty purposes, I use Platinum 5W20 and their Honda filter, and change at 5,000 miles.

I could do it at home but I'm tired of changing oil, especially in the winter.

Split operation here. I do all my own workk, pretty much, once out of warranty but my wife insists that all work on her car be done at the dealer, including oil changes. Her thing, no since messing with her about it.

I'm bringing the M1 Tranny, xfer case & rear end oil in to the GMC dealership Tuesday to have them change it. I'll watch and check it out...

Haven't changed my own oil in years except in my tractor and garden tractor and I hate doing that.Nasty,messy,disposal etc.I'd sooner pull a cyl.head then change my own oil or I even read here and there some rotate their own TIRES.Cheez.

Weather isn't usually an issue where I live so I do my own oil and filter changes - TropArtic 10W-30 synthetic blend and whatever filter's cheapest, regardless of brand. According to my warranty booklet, and I believe this to be true of all makes, as long as a do-it-yourselfer keeps receipts for materials (oil and oil filters - whether bought in bulk on sale or merely sufficient quantity per individual service) and logs the mileage and date that each individual oil change is performed, that documentation is sufficient to maintain warranty rights under Magnuson-Moss.

One of my neighbors has a lifted Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab pickup with huge monster off road tires. He dropped it off to have the tires rotated at a local shop that specializes in lifted, offroad pickups. They charged him $70.
shocked.gif
The only tire that had a plug in it was in the same position as before.
mad.gif
He mentioned this to the owner and they pulled his truck in and rotated the tires as he watched.

Crap like this is why I do everything I can, maintenance wise, even if the vehicle is under warranty.

I change the oil in my truck but not in my wifes Sentra cause I cant reach the filter. The first change I let the jiffy lube people do it and than started taking it to a local shop that I trust.

i have my oil changed on my 05' subaru forester gtx 5w30 3,500-4,000 miles due to warranty.local place i trust,get there early enough it's done fast..my 2000 hyundai with 114,000 miles that i drive daily i change myself.i have a old f-150 that i used to change but it leaks so bad now i don't bother.

I've lived in two different apartments in the past three years. I still change my own oil twice a year!
fruit.gif
I was planning to change it this past saturday morning at 7am (work night shift) but we had snow so my plan was derailed. I do change it at the last apartment building on the property on another road. so the other tenats are probably thinking "who is this guy?" because I change my own oil as far away as my own building as possible. but I'm up and gone in 30 minutes and the leasing office isn't open at 7am. I haven't had any trouble yet, but if I get a warning or anything like that. Plan B: I'll go to my old apartment I lived at and change it there. Even better yet, an apartment that I never been to.
lol.gif

I'm not supposed to work on my car in my assigned apartment spot in back under the second floor. But to do an oil change takes so little time that nobody would ever notice. I slightly jack up the car to reach the drain plug and let it drain while I go inside. Then the hood only needs to be open 5-10 minutes while I pour in new oil. Totally under the radar. Not that I worry, as other people in our complex are working much more often on their own cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back