Poll: Who doesn't change their vehicle's oil themself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take mine to my indy mechanic. For $10, I supply the oil, washer and filter and they change it. Best part is I don't have to dispose of the used oil and filter.

I am getting worried about all of this talk about being under "warranty". I change my own on a vehicle that is under warranty.

What am I missing? Am I voiding my warranty by doing this? I save the receipts and keep a record of the dates and mileage.

I don't do my own for two reasons. First is I am under warranty until July 2006 with a very strict clause of no DIY's. Even if I didn't have the warranty, I live in a condo complex with an even stricter policy of no car repairs or mainteneance done in the lot. If you even open your hood to add washer fluid, people frown.

I take mine to Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire. They have good prices, and lots of package deals - tire rotations and oil changes together, etc.... and I can leave the car with them while I go to work. I don't understand people who go to places like Mr. Lube or Oil Changers and pay an extra $10 - $15 because they don't want to wait. Just my opinion.

When my car is off warrranty, I am thinking of buying synthetic oil and taking it to W-M to have them install it once a year. It only costs $12 to do that, and it is a heck of a lot cheaper than their synthetic packages....

Interesting all the discussion on apartment complexes and their odd rules on auto-repair. It is also written in my lease, but so far i've never had a problem with anyone giving me a hard time. However i do minimize the "hood-up" time and try to be discrete about the whole thing.

I much prefer to drive down to my parents place and take my time in their driveway. I always do things like brake-jobs, radiator flush, etc at Mom and Dads or parked on the street so i'm legal;)

Shouldn't have bumped this thread, wavinwayne...
wink.gif

quote:

I'm an accountant. I don't change my own oil.

It's good to for once meet an accountant who's not counting every penny.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back