Poll: Synthetics, dinos, and wear metal counts...

nickmckinney

quote:
Originally posted by surfstar: i still beleive that UOAs are not a good way to compare engine wear between different oils.
I agree 100%, too many other variables involved.

Bill in Utah

Staff member
quote:
C. I believe that dinos, based on the UOAs I have looked at here at BITOG, have the advantage over synthetics when it comes to wear metal mitigation in 5K OCIs.
And part B too. And when we inject that the dinos are at best a tenth of the cost (Chevron @ .49 cents a quart) to 1/2 the cost of Synthetics (if you go buy it in single quarts at retail) this is a no brainer... And anyone who makes the comment to go ahead and run the dino to 20k and lets see which is better.. I don't have to since I bought cheaper oil and wish to change it earlier.. (And even changing it 4 times to your 1 time, Its costing me LESS than your one change.) [Razz] For me at least! [Big Grin] Take care, Bill [Coffee]

quote:
Either 'I believe..', 'I believe..', 'I believe..', or 'I don't know'; three for those of faith and one for the agnostics :^)
[LOL!] [LOL!] [Big Grin] I take the "Harris poll" surveys for the little things that youn can earn for participation. I keep giving them feedback on how they 'cattle chute' you into a desired response. They always appear to leave out the option that I would choose [I dont know]

nickmckinney

quote:
Originally posted by fuel tanker man: Don't be ashamed to choose option D then! [Razz]
Can't do that, because its Buster option E for me Hint - you need to add option E already [Cheers!]

Let's try this: Which of the given responses most closely reflects your own opinions on the issue of dino versus synthethic for wear metal mitigation for 5,000 mile (and shorter) OCI's? A. I believe the synthetic would have the advantage and there are viable explanations for what appear to be elevated wear metals in short synthetic runs. B. I believe there is no difference between synthetics and dinos for 5K OCI's--as far as wear metals are concerned. C. I believe that dinos, based on the UOAs I have looked at here at BITOG, have the advantage over synthetics when it comes to wear metal mitigation in 5K OCIs. D. I really don't know. Should be interesting... [Smile] Dan

quote:
C. I believe that dinos, based on the UOAs I have looked at here at BITOG, have the advantage over synthetics when it comes to wear metal mitigation in 5K OCIs. Dan [/QB]
C.

Well, since Bob Miller jumped in first with a C, I won't feel bad in saying C either. I also have used Dino in a turbo application that had a larger turbo, ran more boost etc. etc. etc. and never ever a problem and I ended up with a squeeky clean engine just as every other dino motor I service. If I had money burning a hole in my wallet..............well..........I'd probably still use dino [LOL!] I am CHEAP!! I would never EVER run dino past 5K though. Synthetics still rule the arctic, the desert, and the folks who want to do extended (real extended, past 10K) changes. [ October 15, 2005, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]