Poll: Synthetics, dinos, and wear metal counts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
i still beleive that UOAs are not a good way to compare engine wear between different oils.

I agree 100%, too many other variables involved.

quote:

C. I believe that dinos, based on the UOAs I have looked at here at BITOG, have the advantage over synthetics when it comes to wear metal mitigation in 5K OCIs.

And part B too.

And when we inject that the dinos are at best a tenth of the cost (Chevron @ .49 cents a quart) to 1/2 the cost of Synthetics (if you go buy it in single quarts at retail) this is a no brainer...

And anyone who makes the comment to go ahead and run the dino to 20k and lets see which is better.. I don't have to since I bought cheaper oil and wish to change it earlier.. (And even changing it 4 times to your 1 time, Its costing me LESS than your one change.)
tongue.gif

For me at least!
grin.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Either 'I believe..', 'I believe..', 'I believe..', or 'I don't know'; three for those of faith and one for the agnostics :^)

quote:

Either 'I believe..', 'I believe..', 'I believe..', or 'I don't know'; three for those of faith and one for the agnostics :^)

lol.gif
lol.gif
grin.gif

I take the "Harris poll" surveys for the little things that youn can earn for participation. I keep giving them feedback on how they 'cattle chute' you into a desired response. They always appear to leave out the option that I would choose
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
Don't be ashamed to choose option D then!
tongue.gif

Can't do that, because its Buster option E for me

Hint - you need to add option E already
cheers.gif

Let's try this:

Which of the given responses most closely reflects your own opinions on the issue of dino versus synthethic for wear metal mitigation for 5,000 mile (and shorter) OCI's?

A. I believe the synthetic would have the advantage and there are viable explanations for what appear to be elevated wear metals in short synthetic runs.

B. I believe there is no difference between synthetics and dinos for 5K OCI's--as far as wear metals are concerned.

C. I believe that dinos, based on the UOAs I have looked at here at BITOG, have the advantage over synthetics when it comes to wear metal mitigation in 5K OCIs.

D. I really don't know.

Should be interesting...
smile.gif

Dan

B. HOWEVER, not in racing/turbo applications or EXTREME arctic cold.

(Make that E)

Well, since Bob Miller jumped in first with a C, I won't feel bad in saying C either. I also have used Dino in a turbo application that had a larger turbo, ran more boost etc. etc. etc. and never ever a problem and I ended up with a squeeky clean engine just as every other dino motor I service. If I had money burning a hole in my wallet..............well..........I'd probably still use dino
lol.gif
I am CHEAP!!

I would never EVER run dino past 5K though. Synthetics still rule the arctic, the desert, and the folks who want to do extended (real extended, past 10K) changes.

[ October 15, 2005, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back