Polished Cloudy Headlight Lenses (With Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headlight lenses on my 10-year-old Tacoma with lots of highway miles were starting to get a bit cloudy and sandblasted. I'd heard the 3M kit that you use with a drill, worked pretty well, so I decided to try it. It is available at Pep Boys, Autozone, etc., as well as online. It comes with a buffer that goes in your drill, and several sanding discs. You start at 500 grit, then 800, then a 1600 or 1800 (can't remember) "Trizact" pad that you use wet, then an orange "egg crate" foam pad with rubbing compound.

The results were perfect. The lenses look new again. I'd say it was worth the $30 for the kit, especially since I still have sanding discs left over. I need to do my fog lamps, too.

I'd recommend this one that you use with a drill, over the ones you do manually. The results will be more professional with the drill kit.

It did take a while. I probably spent around 90 min. or more on each one.

Before:

ohRITHT.jpg

U1hCs4Z.jpg

dTdaTBo.jpg

After:

BsarC19.jpg

Nt5545y.jpg

JKtEi22.jpg

zL2WMh8.jpg

That looks good.

I used toothpaste and then clearcoat. A bit cheaper and less time, but it did the job. But nowhere near as clear as your headlights.

Last edited:
looks great, but as others have said, you need to apply a UV blocking clear coat, or they will be back to the old look in short order.

I've used a protective film on my last 2 cars to try to eliminate this issue as much as possible. (but it's been 4 years now, and i don't recall the name of the product or the website at the moment...)

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Nice WRX! How do you like it?

Thanks! It’s a really fun car, especially out in the mountains and canyons. That’s where it’s in its element and punches far above its power level.

In the city, something with a bigger engine is more fun.

I did mine a few years ago, bought the sandpaper at Home Depot and used a uv clear plastic spray paint. It came out great but it didn't last but 2 years. Going to do it again using the special applied uv coating from aap or az.

I used the 3M kit on mine as well....did a great job....now I just go over them by hand about every 3 or 4 months with Meguiar's 105 to keep them clear, which also works very well...

The kit is handy, but not required. (Excellent results by the way, you'll definitely notice the difference driving at night.)

-If you don't already have a buffer then the drill attachments really make life easy
smile.gif
and you'll get plenty of mileage (pun intended) out of them. Also you can lend them to your mates for beer.

I tend to just use my DA buffer and car polishes. The results are crystal clear lenses, just as you have. However I always top off with a polymer sealant (Autoglym Extra Gloss protection usually.) As this is a cheap and effective way to get 6-9 months of fade free performance.

Once the clarity is back (you've done the heavy work once,) it only take a minute or 2 on the DA buffer to bring the crystal clarity back every 6 months or so. And since I tend to machine wax / seal my car regularly, this maintenance step is no effort. Given the long highway nights I often have to do, this makes a world of difference on my 2002 Saab 9-5. From when I got it, to now
laugh.gif

Regards
Jordan

I learned this trick from a friend of mine who owns a body shop: Wet sand with 600 grit paper and spray clear over the light. Makes it look like new + lasts longer than anything else you can do. Just get a spray can of clear from the parts store.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Does the 3M kit come with the UV protective coating to be used?

No.

Yikes, please protect those with clear coat or some Blue Magic Headlight sealant. The latter is easier to apply but must be used more frequently. Otherwise you'll be doing the process of cleaning the haze over and over as mentioned.

Might do that. I was really planning on just using wax (I have some 26 and some Tech Wax lying around). I think waxing them kept them from hazing up until a couple of years ago, and kept them from getting really bad. Also, the truck was garage-kept for the 1st 6 years of its life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back