Policeman shoots motorist during traffic stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
His supervisors, the DA and the judge are covering their hind ends because of the rioting going on in Ferguson MO. If the shooting victim wasn't of that color then this wouldn't even be news.

Originally Posted By: 29662
It's very disconcerting how many people on here are on the side of the officer when he was clearly acting improperly and recklessly.

It's obviously not as clear to others as it is to you. I say the NC/SC border is SOUTH. You, being from SC/FL, say the NC/SC border is NORTH. We're both correct.

When I first saw the video, and not knowing the outcome, I thought the man was jumping into his car to speed away. He dove head-first into his vehicle pretty quick like. Nobody but himself knew what he was about to pull out of the car. In hindsight, there was clearly no reason to fire a service weapon at him. It was obviously not clear to the officer what was about to go down.

I see both sides of this issue. I feel for the officer, who likely acted out of reasonable fear. On the other hand, his action was pretty quick in terms of pulling the trigger before he saw what was in the car. I agree that the officer was in the wrong, but I can certainly understand the reasonable fear that he had.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Ummmmmm what is going on?

Am I crazy or just like the other video you posted, I'm beginning to see racism...

Funny, not days ago (the day before yesterday?) A man was shot and killed in a routine traffic stop. Guess the race of the fella

Welcome to the "New World" as Government Motors would say

Originally Posted By: hatt
WOW at the responses here. I bet the tune would be different if your kid was the one being gunned down by a nut. Dude should be charged with attempted 1st degree murder.

My son would be wearing his seat belt and would have listened to the cop.. He would have not been shot

I must have different eyes. First, dude was already out of car and no sirens or lights visible when the cop rolls up on him. Second, I would reach in for my wallet too. I would have no reason to expect the cop to be firing at me at all. He is the one responsible for protecting me- not the other way around. He certainly should not be firing until there is clear evidence that he was in danger- and there is no evidence other than perhaps the man may have been sorta quick reaching into his car. [censored] evidence to get shot for. I have much respect for cops, but the bad ones destroy my ability to trust any of them.

ref

Originally Posted By: topbliss
WOW at the responses here. I bet the tune would be different if your kid was the one being gunned down by a nut. Dude should be charged with attempted 1st degree murder.

My son would be wearing his seat belt and would have listened to the cop.. He would have not been shot

While he may or may not have been wearing his seatbelt, he did listen to the cop, and got shot anyway. So what's your point.

Originally Posted By: topbliss

Your son can't be wearing a seat belt, and also standing outside of his car at the same time.

Also, the innocent civilian clearly listened to the cop when the cop asked him for his license and registration. His automatic instinct was to get it for him. He 100% complied with the officers orders.

Here's the thing:

When I get into my car, I usually put my wallet into the center console.
When I get out of my car, I usually grab my wallet before I step out of the car.

When the innocent civilian listened to the officer's command to produce his license :)42 seconds in), as he reached into the car to get the documents, the officer immediately yelled "Get out of the car" in 2 quick successions, and started shooting while saying "Get out of the car" the second time, all under 2 seconds (2 shots fired at :46 seconds in). He was then shot once after getting out of the car, and then once more after putting his hands into the air. That is not enough time for anyone to register that the commands have changed, and make any form of compliant act.

The cop was too quick on the draw to be out on the street, considering his previous history with being exposed to gun violence targeted at him. He is now no longer on the street, and an officer, and, honestly, the streets are safer for it.

This entire situation is the worst nightmare for 2 groups of people:

Police officers and innocent civilians.

This guy looks like he's wearing a Mr Goodwrench work outfit. He isn't, when I looked for a better quality video, but the initial video, that's what it looked like to me.
He isn't driving a vehicle with questionable markings on it.
He's at a gas station, and it isn't the vehicle that the officer was following at the beginning of the film.

This was a bad shoot.
This man does not need to be an officer, and hopefully, he will stay out of law enforcement from now on, and not just move to another area of the country and get another job as an officer when his trial ends, and he is found not guilty.

BC.

How do you know he listened to the cop? The 'dude' was already out of the car....when the video started....! Why was the 'dude' out of the car? Was he told by the officer to get out?

well, since he was at a convenience store/gas station, it was to presumably buy something. That's typically what you do in those places. And he was allready out of his truck when the cop asked him for his DL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 29662
He was allready out of the car when the cop asked for his DL. All he did was reach back in to his vehicle to retrieve it. The cop was being a nervous nelly, and will probably be sued personally in federal court by the victim; I would.

"driving while black" is the reason for most of the stops here in my town.
it is alarming that police spends so much time to pull over for petty stuff or just cuz they can.
I read an article where this is becoming a game for police to "get lucky" and forfeiting property/money.

The same police will probably refuse to investigate crimes under a certain dollar amount or class, cuz they are "busy".

I guess the police have their priorities figured out.

If I misspoke I apologize. The only clip I have seen is of him hurriedly reaching into his vehicle to retrieve something.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
"driving while black" is the reason for most of the stops here in my town.
it is alarming that police spends so much time to pull over for petty stuff or just cuz they can.
I read an article where this is becoming a game for police to "get lucky" and forfeiting property/money.

The same police will probably refuse to investigate crimes under a certain dollar amount or class, cuz they are "busy".

I guess the police have their priorities figured out.

I think you may be onto something: http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-29228851

Follow the money.

The original incident is a perfect example of the outright stupidity of primary offense seat belt laws.

One person nearly lost their life because they didn't have a seat belt on in PARKING LOT.

Stopping people on a road is a dangerous activity, not just for the officer and person stopped, but other motorists as well. Causing a 100% dangerous situation for the very low probability of any one particular person getting in a crash on a given day is just nuts.

These laws are nothing but fishing ventures to pad the bottom lines of politicians.

When I get pulled over, I always reach in the glove box and get my license and registration out before the police officer gets to my car door. I try to make it as convenient as possible for the police officer in hopes of him letting me go without a ticket. But one of these days, I'm gonna get shot by a trigger happy cop that thinks I'm reaching for a gun.

Why did the motorist even get out of his car?

Before the video segment that the media has shown the state trooper had instructed the drive to pull over, and his lights were flashing.

He had pulled into the gas station and then got out of his car and started to approach the officer. That is a NO NO today in the USA and EVERYONE knows this. SOP for all motorists being stopped by police is to remain INSIDE the vehicle unless the officer instucts you to exit. When you are waiting for the officer to approach you should keep from moving much, and when the officer asks for your information keep slow movements and tell him what you are doing.

The subject also quickly and aggressively moved into his car and I am certain that the officer thought he was going to be shot.

I don't think the officer should have been arrested, this guy previously had a perfect record and his intent was only to protect himself from harm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
When I get pulled over, I always reach in the glove box and get my license and registration out before the police officer gets to my car door. I try to make it as convenient as possible for the police officer in hopes of him letting me go without a ticket. But one of these days, I'm gonna get shot by a trigger happy cop that thinks I'm reaching for a gun.

u my friend have a death wish,
I have Concealed Carry lic, I gotten into the habit of even announcing that I am reaching for my chunky $$$ before I wipe myself in the potty. Never have been pulled over but my gun carrying buddies tell me to keep the hands on the steering wheel till the police person give you permission to reach for your $$$ i.e. wallet, dash...

I take it back, I was stopped 15 years back for rolling through a stop sign. I did not even know the guy was behind me, I parked in the gas station across from the exit with the stop sign and as I was getting out he approached me, I told him I have to run to the potty, after I came back he gave me a ticket but I explained that I never saw the stop sign and I had to go to the potty really bad. The policeman apologized that he cannot undo the ticket now that it has been written.
Needless to say I never paid the ticket but made an appointment to meet with the prosecuting attorney, who turned out to be a graduate from the same college....it was written off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Before the video segment that the media has shown the state trooper had instructed the drive to pull over, and his lights were flashing.

Can you provide this information?

The best thing for you to do is stop reaching into your glovebox when you're pulled over! YOU are the cop for a moment...you observe someone you have just pulled over for a traffic violation leaning over and reaching for something on the other side of their car, your training will tell you thats a HUGE red flag. 99% of the time you would be correct in that assumption...It's the 1% that makes the red flag appear. As I said earlier....hands at 10 and 2 and yes sir/mam..no sir/mam. You already said one of these days I'm gonna get shot by some trigger happy cop that thinks I'm reaching for a gun! Geez...just stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back