Policeman shoots motorist during traffic stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel, yes sir/mam my registration card is in the glove box, yes sir/mam my license is in my wallet in my left pant pocket, yes sir/mam, no sir/mam......any body with half a brain should know not to make an abrupt move of any kind. Has anybody ever watched a video where a cop gets shot while making a traffic stop??? The guy made a move and was shot....! Shannow, It's the job of the officer to be suspicious, how did the traffic stop with your dad end? Well I hope.

It's ridiculous how many people here give the cop the benefit of the doubt, this was a seatbelt violation, I understand if this was a persuit or the guy was wanted for a serious crime. What Now we are supposed to fear people that are supposed to protect us.

WOW at the responses here. I bet the tune would be different if your kid was the one being gunned down by a nut. Dude should be charged with attempted 1st degree murder.

Bad, bad shoot. Glad the man lived. But wow. Cop didn't even know how to do his job and a guy gets shot for it.

Yes, yes, cops #1 job is to come home safely and has no obligation to lay his life on the line to save a citizen, but this is just poor job performance. Period.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel, yes sir/mam my registration card is in the glove box, yes sir/mam my license is in my wallet in my left pant pocket, yes sir/mam, no sir/mam......any body with half a brain should know not to make an abrupt move of any kind. Has anybody ever watched a video where a cop gets shot while making a traffic stop??? The guy made a move and was shot....! Shannow, It's the job of the officer to be suspicious, how did the traffic stop with your dad end? Well I hope.
It's the citizens's job to figure out techniques to keep from being shot? And to know when to follow orders and not follow orders? Clearly this kid was trying to comply with orders.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The cop needs a year in maximum security's general population...with "BAD COP" tattooed on his face.

Police are the country's most dangerous street gang.

Is it me? or do you psychotically overstate everything?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Yes, yes, cops #1 job is to come home safely and has no obligation to lay his life on the line to save a citizen, but this is just poor job performance. Period.

I think I know what you are trying to say here, but I would disagree and say that when push comes to shove, saving the citizenry, perhaps at the cost of their own lives, is exactly what we pay them for. At the margin their purpose is certainly not to be an adult version of a hall monitor. While this is taking the discussion on a tangent, I think this point needs to be made.

Originally Posted By: hatt
WOW at the responses here. I bet the tune would be different if your kid was the one being gunned down by a nut. Dude should be charged with attempted 1st degree murder.
What if your kid was the police officer fearing for his safety?

hatt,.......never mind, if I have to explain common sense to you ...you wouldn't understand anyway!

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

I think I know what you are trying to say here, but I would disagree and say that when push comes to shove, saving the citizenry, perhaps at the cost of their own lives, is exactly what we pay them for. At the margin their purpose is certainly not to be an adult version of a hall monitor. While this is taking the discussion on a tangent, I think this point needs to be made.

It may be what we THINK we pay them for, but it's not what the courts have ruled.

It may be what we THINK we pay them for, but it's not what the courts have ruled.

hmmmmm......

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Armchair quarterbacks do not know what it"s like to be a Blue Knight.

NO. Knights are brave and chivalrous. This cop was obviously scared (i.e. a coward). He didn't take the time to properly assess the situation, and it nearly cost an innocent man his life. I certainly hope that the cop is treated like any one else would be in this situation and is charged with attempted murder.

It's very disconcerting how many people on here are on the side of the officer when he was clearly acting improperly and recklessly. Its no wonder that the police act with such impunity and lack professionalism, when so many people are willing to overlook their transgressions. Disgusting!!!

I don't think anyone expects a police officer to sacrifice themselves for the public, but like a firefighter, they are paid to put themselves at a significant but reasonable risk, and managing that risk is what they are trained to do.
I think this means they can't use deadly force against only a potential threat. There's no harm in preparing for potential threat, but you can't assume every energetic moving person is going pull their uzi out from their car seat.
It seems at some point, some officers either get scared of the public, or just lose their empathy and start shooting when lethal force isn't necessary.
Thankfully there's more video evidence all the time, so the cops that can't handle the job get caught more often.

Energetic moving person.....I wonder if the energetic move was for his registration, his license, a flower to place in the barrel of the officers weapon, a thank you note for stopping me for a seat belt violation because the officer profiled me as an idiot, a weapon maybe....! Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

When you're pulled over for an enforcement stop, you stay in your car, stay still and await further instructions.
You don't jump out of the car and then dive back inside. That's what happens in those police videos that they watch at the academy when disgruntled civilians reach for a weapon and open fire.

He was allready out of the car when the cop asked for his DL. All he did was reach back in to his vehicle to retrieve it. The cop was being a nervous nelly, and will probably be sued personally in federal court by the victim; I would.

Originally Posted By: 29662
He was allready out of the car when the cop asked for his DL. All he did was reach back in to his vehicle to retrieve it. The cop was being a nervous nelly, and will probably be sued personally in federal court by the victim; I would.

Sue-happiness is resulting in increased prices for everything and a general lowering of living standards across the board for the honest folks who work for a living.
The guy who got shot acted improperly, period.
The police officer overreacted but I definitely see where he was coming from and I could put myself in his shoes and see what caused the shooting in the first place.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: 29662

Sue-happiness is resulting in increased prices for everything and a general lowering of living standards across the board for the honest folks who work for a living.
The guy who got shot acted improperly, period.
The police officer overreacted but I definitely see where he was coming from and I could put myself in his shoes and see what caused the shooting in the first place.

He didn't do anything to warrant being shot over, and apparently his supervisors, the DA, and the judge agree.

Lawsuits are there to compensate for wrongdoings. This would not be a "frivolous" lawsuit. I believe that this one would be wholly merited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back