Police kill Walmart shopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
^
Quote:
Beavercreek Police Department received active shooter training July 23 and 24, about two weeks prior to the shooting incident

Must have slept through the part about the difference between an active shooter, and a dude standing and talking on his phone.

But hey, why do the training you're not gonna use it?

This was a tragic event, but I don't think that the responing officers should have been indicted.
There had been at least one 911 call about a man pointing a rifle at people in the store. The air rifle in question looks quite realistic. The responding officers had every reason to believe that they were answering a call involving a nut with a real firearm. The young man was ordered to drop the weapon and failed to comply. The officers then took him down as per typical use of force protocol. You don't play with people who appear to be armed and are non-compliant. All agencies have very specific guidelines in policy for the use of deadly force and warning shots are not a part of them. Firing two shots to the torso to disable the apparent threat would be a typical protocol.
I can't imagine how these officers must have felt when it was discovered that the young man they'd just killed had only an air rifle.
Since the issue of race enters into this incident, the officers will be subjected to a federal probe, as though they shot and killed this young man for no reason other than his race.

again, got what he deserved. Picked up an air rifle and walked thru the store with it. What did he expect to happen? Where I work the same thing happened. A person was walking around with an air soft gun. 911 called saying a man with a rifle. Swap came but luckily the man left before he was shot. Do stupid stuff, get stupid results. What do you expect the police to do? With all the work, school and public shootings, they are doing their job. How do they know if its a real gun or not.

Around here, folks get real rifles and paint the tips orange, so they look nearly identical to an Airsoft gun. I'm sure this happens all across the country.

I'm as anti-police state as they get but this idiot got what he deserved!

The police are over militarized and have a shoot first, ask questions later attitude anymore but this guy got what was coming! I'd have done the same thing whether he was white, black or purple!

Quote:
"Since the issue of race enters into this incident, the officers will be subjected to a federal probe, as though they shot and killed this young man for no reason other than his race."

Just like the Ferguson shooting...I'm sure the officers went out that day thinking.."I'm gonna shoot me a young black man today" NOT...although some people would like us to think that.
What ever happened to personal responsibility for one's (dumb) actions?

In today's America were we have school shootings, workplace shootings, freeway shootings, ambush shootings, movie theater shootings, drive-by shootings, domestic violence shootings, no one can claim ignorance that brandishing guns or look-a-like guns in a public place is not going to cause police response in the most serious fashion. Sorry, but the guy that got shot appears to have set in motion circumstances that led to up to it. When you do that, you are placing your life into a split second reaction window of a person with a real gun and marksmanship training who is amped up about what he or she is walking into and all the active shooter training that person has been through is flashing through their mind en route to the location. Equals a fair chance you may be shot and the cold fact is in today's world you should've have known better, or you're actually trying to create a controversial incident and very much risking your life in the process.

What was the pellet/bb gun doing out of it's box? It was apparently like that when the guy picked it up.

First of all the kid should have some common sense in knowing that waving something around that looks like a real gun will get you shot. This is a big difference from Canada and the states. In our Walmart the staff would have to unlock that gun from a cabinet and walk it up to the cashier who would have it under their desk or at customer service until the person was ready to pay for it in line. Also the purchaser would be carded because you have to be I think 16 to buy air rifles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
In today's America were we have school shootings, workplace shootings, freeway shootings, ambush shootings, movie theater shootings, drive-by shootings, domestic violence shootings, no one can claim ignorance that brandishing guns or look-a-like guns in a public place is not going to cause police response in the most serious fashion. Sorry, but the guy that got shot appears to have set in motion circumstances that led to up to it. When you do that, you are placing your life into a split second reaction window of a person with a real gun and marksmanship training who is amped up about what he or she is walking into and all the active shooter training that person has been through is flashing through their mind en route to the location. Equals a fair chance you may be shot and the cold fact is in today's world you should've have known better, or you're actually trying to create a controversial incident and very much risking your life in the process.

man you called it. I agree 100%

If a pellet gun is out of its box I wouldnt touch it for fear of being accused that I stole it. The last people who are shopping and see him, fled quickly..so they might of called the cops. The guy is walking around the store with a gun that had no packaging..the way he was holding it it looked real. With all the shootings in the country you should know better. Another shooting where ppl will say its because of his skin color. I agree with everyone else..deserves it no matter what color.

Note, unfortunately, but if I was a black person, I would not pick up a toy firearm, bb gun, airsoft, or a real rifle in a store, its just the way it is now, regrettably today in our country its just not a good idea to do it.

If I were a PERSON I wouldn't pick up a toy gun, bb gun, pellet gun, and walk around in a store with it....geez!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
If I were a PERSON I wouldn't pick up a toy gun, bb gun, pellet gun, and walk around in a store with it....geez!

X2 Not a very smart move his part & payed the price .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back