Police K9 dies after left in cruiser for hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't an unpaid suspension considered a break in a cop's service record? This can have repercussions later for promotions, pension purposes, etc. Read this somewhere, hope someone can explain it better.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Isn't an unpaid suspension considered a break in a cop's service record? This can have repercussions later for promotions, pension purposes, etc. Read this somewhere, hope someone can explain it better.
I'm going with it isn't going to be as bad as the regular person's arrest, criminal conviction, and subsequent stint in jail on current and future job opportunities.

A lot of harsh people in here.

A cop can do a thousand good deeds over his career, but one screw up, and it's into the fire for him as far as Average Joe is concerned.

Originally Posted By: evanautumn

A cop can do a thousand good deeds over his career, but one screw up, and it's into the fire for him as far as Average Joe is concerned.
Do you give regular folks the good deed exemption when they commit criminal acts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt

Do you give regular folks the good deed exemption when they commit criminal acts?

depends on the situation. Sometimes I agree with the "hive mind" on things like this, other times I have the unpopular opinion.

In this case you have to realize that you have to be a true animal person to become a K9 handler. you spend so much time with the dog, thru training, and both on and off duty, that it becomes your best friend...I'm not an animal person personally but I can imagine he is feeling an unbearable amount of anguish at this moment. that, combined with the reprimands he received, having his face plastered all over the news, and effects on future job prospects are more than enough punishment IMO. this is not the sort of situation that was in mind when animal cruelty laws were put in place. like he did it on purpose? come on...

As far as the "regular folks" question, I feel that it is generally better give the benefit of the doubt for first-time offenders, depending on the situation...counseling, rehab, probation, etc. are often better options than locking someone away and potentially creating a lifetime offender out of them. Again, depending on the severity of the situation. The "send him to prison!!!" mentality, and the increasing popularity of for-profit private prisons are doing more harm than good this country, I feel.

But, each to his own opinion
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Agreed, the officer should have been charged. Even if for animal abuse.

It's unfortunate that those who "protect and serve" are often treated "better" than the rest of us.

I agree. Iv always felt police should be held to a higher standered. Regardless of what happens it should be known that it doesn't matter who you are, civilian, vetrian, politician, or police officer.

All should be held accountable and when you hold any position of power the punishment should always be more severe.

I agree, it's easy to hang someone out to dry over the internet when you don't need to look them in the face.

It's a terrible thing that happened, but I don't know all the details. This isn't a child and I'm not sure a person would be arrested and/or charged if they made this mistake with a dog around here.

This was obviously not intentional so I don't think there should be criminal charges.
I do think he should be fired because he obviously doesn't have the intelligence needed for the job.

What do you think should happen to high ranking government officials who send guns down to Mexico to see where they end up?
They end up killing hundreds of Mexicans and one American border patrol agent?

Should somebody be charged in this case?

While I understand accidents happen
If you are trained to work with a dog, and can't manage that, who the [censored] thought that arming this person in the publics interest would be a good idea?

An American citizen can do a thousand good deeds over his life, but one screw up, and it's into the fire for him as far as the police/prosecutors are concerned.

Originally Posted By: pbm
This was obviously not intentional so I don't think there should be criminal charges.
I do think he should be fired because he obviously doesn't have the intelligence needed for the job.

What do you think should happen to high ranking government officials who send guns down to Mexico to see where they end up?
They end up killing hundreds of Mexicans and one American border patrol agent?

Should somebody be charged in this case?

Yes, they should. But the problem is that we live in a world where governments are allowed to commit any number of crimes, and create any amount of collateral damage, and simply go "Oh, jeez, I'm soooooooooo sorry!", and then walk away from the whole thing.

In this case you have to realize that you have to be a true animal person to become a K9 handler. you spend so much time with the dog, thru training, and both on and off duty, that it becomes your best friend...I'm not an animal person personally but I can imagine he is feeling an unbearable amount of anguish at this moment. that, combined with the reprimands he received, having his face plastered all over the news, and effects on future job prospects are more than enough punishment IMO. this is not the sort of situation that was in mind when animal cruelty laws were put in place. like he did it on purpose? come on...

I'm sure he did not intend to kill the dog, but I do wonder if he knowingly left the dog in the car thinking "it's not that hot." I just have a hard time wrapping my head around how he could just forget about the dog. It's his partner, every day. Part of his job is caring for the dog and being aware of where it is at all times. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how people do this to their kids too, but I can kind of see someone forgetting about a sleeping child if they are out of their normal routine. Having this dog with him was part of this officer's normal routine though. If he forgets something this crucial, what else is he forgetting on the job?

Quote:

As far as the "regular folks" question, I feel that it is generally better give the benefit of the doubt for first-time offenders, depending on the situation...counseling, rehab, probation, etc. are often better options than locking someone away and potentially creating a lifetime offender out of them. Again, depending on the severity of the situation. The "send him to prison!!!" mentality, and the increasing popularity of for-profit private prisons are doing more harm than good this country, I feel.

But, each to his own opinion
smile.gif

Even when first time offenders avoid the full extent of sentencing possible, they still get charged with a crime. When someone causes a wreck that kills someone else, it's usually not their intent. They usually feel horrible about it. And they still get charged with a crime, and are responsible for whatever damages their insurance does not cover. If they drive for a living, they will almost certainly be fired, and have difficulty finding work in that industry again. They don't get let off the hook just because they feel bad about it. This is no different...it was not his intent to harm the dog, but he did, due to negligence. He should be charged as anyone else would. He should at the very least be responsible for funding the replacement of the dog, not taxpayers.

With more power should come more responsibility. It seems like the opposite is sometimes true - that people in greater power somehow have less accountability than the average person. I'm not saying this officer needs to spend life in prison, or should be locked in a hot car to suffer the same fate the dog did, but he does need to be held accountable for his actions. A couple weeks off from work, even unpaid, is not being held accountable. That's being let off the hook.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I'm sure he did not intend to kill the dog, but I do wonder if he knowingly left the dog in the car thinking "it's not that hot." I just have a hard time wrapping my head around how he could just forget about the dog. It's his partner, every day. Part of his job is caring for the dog and being aware of where it is at all times. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how people do this to their kids too, but I can kind of see someone forgetting about a sleeping child if they are out of their normal routine. Having this dog with him was part of this officer's normal routine though. If he forgets something this crucial, what else is he forgetting on the job?

yeah, the whole thing is just unfortunate. If you think about it, how many people run their A/C when it's 69 degrees out...

4hrs in the car! Seems like day 1 of K9 officer training should have been not to leave your partner in a hot car.

Not that money should be a factor: but how much does it cost to "make" a K9? Seems like this is a highly trained / expensive creature. That the taxpayer shelled out for and now no longer has.

To play devil's advocate, might this be a bit like when an officer misplaces a gun, or wrecks a cruiser and it's deemed that they are at fault? "Accidents happen, just replace the item, that cost is built into our budget, x guns per year, y cars per year."

Not that I agree with that, but you have to admit, any business, or any public agency, expects loss. Those lost items, including persons, are really just numbers on the ledger.

What would happen to a criminal who killed a K9?

Of course, manslaughter and murder have different penalties. But still, this is the sort of thing that makes folks question the impartiality of those who investigate police actions.

Originally Posted By: whip
A police officer left his K9 partner in the car while he did paperwork with the car off and the windows up. If a criminal hurts or kills a police K9, the charges are the same as if it were a person. What was the punishment for this offense?
Quote:
After a disciplinary hearing, Harrison received a two-week unpaid suspension and a loss of 40 hours of vacation.

http://www.fox19.com/story/26726708/poli...than-four-hours

Pretty standard response to a story like this here at BITOG. There are a lot, and I mean a LOT, of folks here who judge and condemn others even if they don't know the entire story. Doesn't matter. They pass their judgment as if they were there and saw it happen 1st hand.

I don't know why the Officer left the dog in the vehicle? I don't know if it was an honest mistake/error or was deliberate? I wasn't there and I don't know the whole story which would be required for me to haul out my moral compass as so many here have done. All I know is something very unfortunate happened and the poor dog is dead as a result. Until I know more I will pass on commenting on the Officer.

I know that is not how folks at BITOG roll and I will catch a lot of flak over my comments. I mean I am a HUGE dog lover so it upsets me to no end that the poor dog died. My Brother even took in a former State Police dog( NH )who was being retired( HUGE Shephard named Dozer - awesome dog!! - broke my heart when he passed ). I will be called an apologist for the Police though, most likely, just because I don't want to judge the Officer without all the facts. Again, that is not how you do things at BITOG. I should be calling for him to be tortured, hung, locked in a car himself, etc... but I can't do that with the knowledge I have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back