Police cars without lights on going though red lights and stop signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gebo
Since I wasn't in the car, I don't know what was taking place. I'd just give him/her some grace and forget about it. They are putting their lives on the line to protect me and my family everyday and sadly, some are losing their lives. I do notice things that irritate me from time to time, but when I weigh out their value (good over bad) I just let it go and pray they catch the bad guys and live to retirement....

In today's society full of police haters, and at the very least, under-appreciaters, I can see your point, but aren't the police supposed to be setting a good example? If other drivers see them speeding, texting, not stopping for red lights, etc, doesn't that promote other drivers to do the same?

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Unfortunately, cops can do whatever they want and don't have to worry about consequences.

Correct, when they're given a batch and a gun they are already above the law, or so they think. Nothing we can do about it.

Unfortunately, cops can do whatever they want and don't have to worry about consequences.

THIS

Since they are the law, they do as they please. They basically give the general public the finger. Not all, just the few bad apples in the basket. Trouble is, the rotten ones tend to smell up the whole basket.

That's a broad brush with which to paint police officers. There are consequences for almost every action a police officer takes. You don't know what it takes or what it means to carry a badge. You only know what you see in the media.

Lots of cop haters tonight. To them, the next time you're in a life or death situation and you need help, call a crackhead, a rapist or a murderer.

I've seen them come close to hurting someone in the process, so yeah, by all means, risk their [own] lives some more...

Originally Posted by Bud
Since they are the law, they do as they please. They basically give the general public the finger. Not all, just the few bad apples in the basket. Trouble is, the rotten ones tend to smell up the whole basket.

So since there are lots of bums who serve in the armed forces, they smell up the whole basket?

Cops use cell phones to talk to each other about the town's frequent-flyer crooks in a manner that's not required to be disclosed under public-records requests. I expect this actually makes their work more efficient-- otherwise they'd have to drive to a communal meeting point for their gossip.

They can respond to service calls briskly but without lights if they want to sneak up on a situation.

That said I'm sure they cheat the lights-- I've seen them do it to me, to trail me through a 30 mph zone from the town line to my apartment at 1:30 am. Even though they could plausibly have remembered my vanity plate and the fact that they did this previously and didn't bust me.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by grampi
They shouldn't be able to speed either without their lights on, but I see them do that all the time...

Yeah, they like to flash by at high speeds in the left lane. It's fun watching sometimes, they'll fly up on someone on the left lane and then those that are paying attention will move over right away and those that are clueless will take a minute or two before they notice that the state police is behind them and then move over. They just kinda wait back there. Sometimes when they're annoyed or maybe on a real call, they'll flash their lights briefly and the motorist will move over.

Every time I see that, I hope the dude STANDS on his brakes.

That's a broad brush with which to paint police officers. There are consequences for almost every action a police officer takes. You don't know what it takes or what it means to carry a badge. You only know what you see in the media.

Lots of cop haters tonight. To them, the next time you're in a life or death situation and you need help, call a crackhead, a rapist or a murderer.

When and where were you a cop?

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
They shouldn't be able to speed either without their lights on, but I see them do that all the time...

Yeah, they like to flash by at high speeds in the left lane. It's fun watching sometimes, they'll fly up on someone on the left lane and then those that are paying attention will move over right away and those that are clueless will take a minute or two before they notice that the state police is behind them and then move over. They just kinda wait back there. Sometimes when they're annoyed or maybe on a real call, they'll flash their lights briefly and the motorist will move over.

Well sometimes they kinda do, they realize they're doing 75 in a 65 so they tap their brakes a little and then switch over.

Originally Posted by Bud

Well ours do the all dark and park on the road shoulders (hidden party lights too) to nab folks for barely over … most here know to stay close to the speed limits. Out of town folks get surprised.
I've had some close calls when they U-turn out of nowhere to go write a ticket … so now I watch for that …

On the few bad apples? Sure, neighbor who always keeps well over the limits of gamefish is a LEO … he jokes to me about not good at counting and measuring fish while he knows I'm by the book on all game regulations …

I once had a cop in an unmarked cruiser pull right behind me when I was driving my M3 and I am not that kind of driver that appreciate tailgating let alone a cop. As we went to a down hill section of the road, I downshift from 5th to 2nd and using that engine brake to back him off. Only then he knew how to leave a safe gap.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I still call a hippie.

Well sometimes they kinda do, they realize they're doing 75 in a 65 so they tap their brakes a little and then switch over.

No, I mean a guy in an old beater Suburban bracing against the headrest and STANDING on the pedal with both feet and all his weight.

A popo friend told me that there are times/calls that LE has to come into an area very stealthy. Some circumstances require immediate response without telegraphing that they are close. Unfortunately, sometimes they have to run a light after it's visually cleared. Just a thought...

True that my friend. Seems like all the police cars around here suffer from excessive brake squeal. Probably from running all those red lights...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back